What do you think I'm having done?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Lothurin

Re: GTZ, GTU and Indy Decals

Post by Lothurin »

i'll work on the vector as soon as i can get my garage open then.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The smaller Indy decals pictured are printed on a clear vinyl with layered thermal color sheets... and when complete he will laminate them and then cut them out so they follow the original outlines. They are going to be about as spot on as I can get them unless someone finds another place that can print different colors that are closer to an exact match. With as muc work I have into this I'm not about to give up my vector graphics to just have someone make them elsewhere either. One thing I can not duplicate is the fact that the lettering for a yellow car is called "charcoal" and it will appear black in some light angles but it will have a gray metallic look from other angles, that is something he can't print. The sliver color he has an exact match for so that's easy.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

3X00-Modified wrote:Woody was supposed to be making them into a Vector file for me, but he fell off the face of the earth on that project so I had to learn how to do it on my own, that's the only reason why I was sending it to him.
Hey, just saw this. You are not waiting for anything from me now, are you? If so, let me know what and I'll get settled up.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

No I have everything done. I learned how to make vector items from what I scanned so I'm all good.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
90INDYLIN

Post by 90INDYLIN »

3M has a perfect match to the charcoal in their line of stripes, we used it on our Indy molding.

90 INDY, '10 SS, 96 C4 CE (86,600 mi. on the Indy, 2nd at super chevy show, 02, 03,1st in 01, 04, 05, 06, 07,08 !! sadly sold)
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This isn't cut vinyl though, the place I'm working with would need a thermal cartridge in that color to work.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

He has a color book that has swatches of what this machine can produce with the combinations of the thermal laminate and we looked through every gray type color and we couldn't find anything that would result in a metallic type gray. Unfortunately yes this is a limitation of the printers this company has and I choose to work with but I also choose them because they have done work for me in the past and they are close by so I can physically go there and work with the printing guy to get things right. Their large format printing machine has even less color choices so it was better to work with the thermal option.

Honestly if someone doesn't like what I've come up with then I will stop what I'm doing and they can start from scratch... this has been a huge complaint on this board about not having decals but everyone seems to just want something and never does anything about it. And this is far from the only situation this is happening with... Dew strips comes to mind on another.

I was also told over and over again by others that the original decal would have to be destroyed to get a replica... Well I still have everything intact that was loned to me and I have 100% vector artwork that can be minipulated in any way shape or form to make it perfect.

I would love to find a place that I could send my vector work to and one of the orignal decals and have them match the colors to a T, but I'm too afraid that the decal won't come back from that place and also that it would end up costing an arm and a leg... But if anyone has any suggestions of a place to try I'll see what I can do, but right now with how much I have invested in this current place I hate to just slam the door in their face and not order any kits. He is already ordering a roll of Yellow vinyl to be a near exact match to the banner yellow so I have to get some of those cut.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

It would be silly to abandon what you have done. If the charcoal is not perfect...BFD.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

woody90gtz wrote:If the charcoal is not perfect...BFD.
That's kinda what I was thinking...

I will double check the next time I'm down there on the color availability and if the machine he is using supports another line of films and if perhaps they have a metallic charcoal, if it does I will tell him it's worth investing the money to get those films for just this job, Same as I did with the Vinyl for the windshield, we looked at another vendor since the colors he had were not a close enough match to the original and we ordered a special roll.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
90INDYLIN

Post by 90INDYLIN »

I was not complaining, I was just letting you know that there was a color in 3M just for info...sorry. just trying to help.

90 INDY, '10 SS, 96 C4 CE (86,600 mi. on the Indy, 2nd at super chevy show, 02, 03,1st in 01, 04, 05, 06, 07,08 !! sadly sold)
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

3X00-Modified wrote:What do you think I'm having done?
Not complaining but you know how anal I am about detail.

If you can reproduce the GTZ with the correct wording underneath I'm in for two, no matter what the cost.

Last i looked Vintage parts had a few at some ridiculous price and you are dealing with 20 year old material.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Get me a good quality picture of the stickers nice and square with the right writing and one would dimensions of a tape measure in the photo with it and I'll see what I can do.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Well I don't have a picture of the originals but they are available from the guys on here.
I have the ones that some member on here made, and the quality is great, but they are "naked" and the under wording is incorrect.
Surprisingly enough, no one has ever noticed! LOL!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
themixer

Post by themixer »

I would love a set if original GT logos for my 1991 Texas car but i don't think they have quite the following