Nobody Loves us... Belt Weatherstripping search.

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Fairchild Industries Belt Weatherstripping

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Ok, this is what it looks like roughly... At least with this cross section I can get a general idea from them about what it would cost.
Attachments
berettadew.jpg
berettadew.jpg (13.18 KiB) Viewed 3964 times

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I could take some photos if you need me too later.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

It would have to be separated from the exterior molding though. I don't want anyone to see that part and think we want the whole thing manufactured. I just want someone to replicate the belt part.

I sent Precision a message with a link to that image to see what they say about a run qty of 50-100...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Hope they can do it.
I have not checked on the 5sp cables for fear that the samething is going to happen. That and I'm sure that there won't be enough orders to make it happen.

keep'em flying!
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

3X00-Modified wrote:It would have to be separated from the exterior molding though. I don't want anyone to see that part and think we want the whole thing manufactured. I just want someone to replicate the belt part.
I took 10 seconds out of my day to separate the two parts and snap some pics...

Here ya go.http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu34 ... /DoTheDew/

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

I took one of mine apart as well. Very easy once it is out of the car.

The rubber is mounted to a metal plate on mine. It appears to be glued to it and wrapped around on the edges not infused in the rubber.

It has 7 slits for the mounting to the outer trim piece and 3 for the screws to mount it to the door.

If you need measurements off the spacing or anything let me know.

Here are some more pics.

Hope this helps and get this done. :runsies:

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Thanks for the photos, I've been too busy to take one apart...

I'm waiting for a reply from Precision and we'll see where that goes... Then its on to local rubber shops and also hitting up some restoration shops to see who they use to get custom weatherstripping.

And pat, that Metal is embedded into the weatherstrip, you can see at the bottom there is a curl of metal inside the rubber. Its how most of the belting is made but apparently with ours the backside has metal exposed rather than being completely enclosed around it.

I'm not trying to make installation difficult, but I think what I'm trying to have made is simply a straight strip, so when you get them you would have to trim the ends, and anywhere else that needs to be trimmed, as well as drill the holes for the screws and put the slots for the hold down flaps. I figure if all they have to do is squirt this thing out an extrusion mold at XX lengths and ship it then it will be much cheaper and feasible to make. I think all the trimming that need to be done and holes that have to be drilled would scare them off for a small group run.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Worst case, have someone in the group make the modifications to those for those that may not know how or want them to fit without doing more work.. I was already doing some research about half a year ago on the same type of thinking. I was trying to find some extruded lengths of a similar shaped material and just making them fit the application, so kudos for the idea. Hope we have some luck. :P

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

well scratch Precision... Gotta love outsourcing... What the hell happened to small custom job shops! And we wonder why the economy is tanking...
Hi Jon,

I am sorry but I do not think Precision will be able to help you. Our minimum run on custom beltline profiles is 8000ft. We do not offer any in-house production of fabrication of beltline moldings here in the states so we do not have the ability to modify the existing part on small batches.

Sorry to pass you around but I think your best bet would be to contact Restoration Specialties out of PA. They do some custom in-house fabrication where they may be able to attached an additional lip to the existing extrusion. Their email address is info@restorationspecialties.com. You can let them know that you were referred by James @ Precision.

Best Regards,
James Jordan
Precision Replacement Parts
Sent an Email to Restoration Specialties to see what they have to say... Then I'm checking with a local convertible top repair shop to see who they use to get custom belting and weatherstripping.

I find it very hard to believe we are the smallest enthusiast group who's ever wanted some custom weatherstrip made... There has to be someone out there who can do this... I just have to find them!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

Good luck with this!! I really hope you can pull this off!!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Wow... Once again this is why our economy sucks... you send someone an email requesting info on CUSTOM weatherstripping and this is what they say.
-----Original Message-----
From: Restoration Specialties [mailto:info@restorationspecialties.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:11 AM
To: Jonathan Chmura
Subject: Re: Custom Belt weatherstripping

Hello,

Sorry, but unfortunately we do not have anything that matches this profile.

Thank You
I could have told them this, hence why I'm inquiring about a CUSTOM strip...

Still trying other people... But the list is getting shorter.

Contacted CT Rubber... they are a vendor for where I work so maybe they can at least point me in the right direction of who could do this since they should have some inside connections.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

almost seems like they weren't putting no effort into it at all

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah pretty much, well the big downfall is a lot of places will no longer invest any money into something custom because the "return" to them isn't enough. Too many companies are only interested in large quantity and then on top of that most of the production is outsourced so they don't have control over much.

I have one place that gave me a reply that actually sounds like he's going to look into it and not just say we don't have that profile.

The biggest worry I have is I'll find a place willing to do this in short runs too, and then get told to make the die it will be 2k... I'm not sure if I have that much involvement to cover that cost.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I've got some connections in the extrusion business; I may be able to help find someone willing to do it.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Let me know what you come up with, I'm waiting to hear from a few places today.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"