Window Tint=Pulled over?

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
kjlee2112

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by kjlee2112 »

Hey guys--

I'm in NJ, where tinting your front side windows is illegal.  I have friends who have it done and haven't gotten pulled over for it.  I do hear horror stories though.  I went to get my back windows done, and saw a pic of a beretta in their shop with the fronts done(it was pretty weird, actually--like a lil devil sitting on my shoulder tempting me to do the bad thing--i guess it worked.. lol), and I thought it looked great--so now my car has it done on all 5 windows.  I'm just wondering what the general consensus is about this.  Do you guys get pulled over a lot or at all for JUST your windows being tinted too dark(or at all in NJ)?  I'm not an idiot driver, so I don't attract attention to myself that way, but I haven't been pulled over in the 8 years I've had my license, and I don't want to start now--especially over something petty like window tint.  I'm always on the lookout for cops and find myself taking alternate routes if I know I'm going to pass a police station.  I feel like I'm going to give myself an ulcer from this.. lol.. but I love the way the windows look!  I've only had the tint for 3 days, I really don't want to rip it off already--and I'm sure some of this anxiety is just the newness of the situation anyway.  Let me know what you think--and some of your stories, if you have them.  Thanks guys

1996 V6 3.1L Base
Asylum

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by Asylum »

Every State has different limits on how much tint can be on the front/side windows.
It's measured in precentages.
Should be easy enough to find out from the people who did the tint.
Or ask a cop. If you approach them, they'll let you know pretty quickly, lol.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
ErichZ26

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by ErichZ26 »

look at this PDF file for rules state to state. ÂÂÂ NJ and my state of Illinois have same rules for front windows...NO TINT allowed.   Your state's has a loophole for medical requirements as Illinois does.
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/Stat ... 202006.pdf

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
gar187er

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by gar187er »

tint is a very grey area.....some cops sweat kids about it, others dont....because many cars today come with the sides tinted from the factory which is generally legal...and if your going ways other then in front of a police station, you are way too paranoid....go by it, cops dont sit in front of the station looking for violations....

more often then not youll have the windows down in the summertime.....

what percentage tint did you get on the side/rear?

i never got my front sides done, just rear and 3/4 windows.....i live in PA though....i had my rear window at 5%, which is really frickin dark....cops didnt really care about that, they are worried about approaching a car they pull over and not being able to see through the side windows, so do the cops a favor, when/if they pull you over, roll your window down, even if its raining.....

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
kjlee2112

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by kjlee2112 »

i got 5 all around... i don't really have a problem seeing anything out of the windows unless its night time and i'm backing up, but even then i'm ok.

I know the rules for NJ, thanks though guys--i know i'm cruising illegally i was just seeing if any of you have gotten pulled over for JUST your windows being tinted.  I got it done because I'm going to be going back to TX for the Army, where they don't care about tint.  It's just that I got quoted there and they wanted over 350 to tint the damn thing.  It was only 200 here for the whole car.

thanks again guys

1996 V6 3.1L Base
kjlee2112

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by kjlee2112 »

I just wish the front window wasn't so huge, then it wouldn't have been that big of a deal for me to get it done.. lol

1996 V6 3.1L Base
BerettaLove32

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by BerettaLove32 »

Don't drive through cicero IL with front tints your car will be sitting in the impound and if stuff gets stolen while it's in the impound they tell ya tough S###. Has happened to a few people I went to school with.  They take it to the extreme but I would never drive with front tints on, hell Ive been pulled over for a burnt of license plate bulb before.

gar187er

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by gar187er »

i got pulled over in PA for my tint, but the guy let me go cause my sides werent done....id be careful as i said....just roll your window down if and when you do get pulled over..that is the worst for a cop, a traffic stop and not being able to inside a car...

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
woody90gtz

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by woody90gtz »

I got pulled over just for tint and ticketed. I ended up taking it off my front two to get the ticket thrown out. (Mine was measured at 11% when 70% is legal in NY.)

I've had that devil on my shoulder tempting me to redo it.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Chris88CL

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by Chris88CL »

Tint on the front windows is illegal here too.  I tinted all 5 windows on my Beretta and was never bothered about it though.  Drove it daily past hundreds of cops and never got pulled over for it in the year I had it done.

I plan on doing all the windows in my saab too whenever I find the time.  Like Woody said, you can usually remove the tint and show pictures and get the ticket thrown out.  Atleast thats how it works here.  Front windows are easy to re-tint ;)

Eway89GT

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by Eway89GT »

I got pulled over for this just about a month ago, i had all 5 windows tinted, and got a $140 ticket for it.  I had them tinted 3 yrs ago, and nobody had bothered me until then, the statey was a real jerk about it. I havent removed it, the Beretta is being picked up by its new owners in a couple weeks and its their problem then .. but the tint on the front is very light, i bet they dont have any problems.

02 Grand Prix GTP Coupe: Mods:  5% tint, headlight covers, DRL switch, visors, Rims, (gotta have RWL tires), SLP Powerflo exhuast, Wizaird CAI, 3" DP w/o cat, U-bend removed , 180 thermo, 3.4 SC pulley 

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by Guest »

i got pulled over and warned they tested it and it said 13% and the box it came in said 35% (and no my windows didnt have solar tint or ne thing on it)so i dont know who was wrong the cop or the company....so i just took it off.....then 3 months later i put it back on and never had a problem

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by Guest »

BEFORE TINT:

Im glad we dont have that law here, we have a darkness law here, they can't be any darker than 20% I think. Mine right now is 20% And they look so much nicer tinted IMO.

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by Guest »

Another place to find a PDF on window tint laws by state is HERE

Decipha

Window Tint=Pulled over?

Post by Decipha »

35% front
2.5% everywhere else
front sides rear

^^tis is my plan

(4) 90s, 91, 92, 93, 94, and a 95 Supercoupe (x9)
98 Camaro SS 6spd
2000 Lincoln LS 5spd (1 of 2,331)
95 Beretta base

www.efidynotuning.com