New door panels and center console

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
hacknfrack

Post by hacknfrack »

I have a '90 base automatic and was pondering the idea of replacing my interior door panels with one of the newer body styles and replacing my center console, too.  I've read a little on here and it sounds like some years fit better than others.  Are there certain year that would fit better from the '92 and up body style, or am I doomed to trying to find '90 replacements?

Thanks.

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Since you have door-mounted seatbelts you're going to need '94-'96 panels.  Center console can be '91-'96.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
hacknfrack

Post by hacknfrack »

I had heard I would have to have a '94-'96 dash for the '94-'96 door panels to work.  Basically, that I have to have the same year dash or door panels.  Is that true?

Also (this what I really want to check because I'd really like ot replace it), a '91-'96 console will fit in a '90?

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

I haven't heard of that issue with the dash/door panels, but maybe someone here can correct me.  I know there are issues when you mix the '91+ door panels with an '87-'90 dash.

Yes the '91-'96 console will fit in a '90.  '91+ cars have heater vents running under the carpet on either side of the center console to the rear footwells.  Because of this, the center area is wider on the '91+ cars.  This means the front of the center console will hang over the sides a little bit if you don't install the new carpet.  The new console has a couple of alignment pegs which will hit on the mounting brackets.  You can drill holes in your existing brackets, install the new brackets, or cut the pegs off.  The e-brake arm is different too.  The old one will work but you'll have to use your old handle.  You can swap the new one in if you want.  Sounds complicated, but it's pretty easy

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
weba

Post by weba »

When i did the console swap, i noticed that the newer style window switch has one more wire (gray) what the old style window switch does not have.

What should i do to this wire? Leave it unconnected?

I fill up for $130. Also Beretta owner since 2004
BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

I think if you don't put a newer dash in they panels wont line up with the dash when the door is closed. Something along those lines. All my cars are 93+ so Ive never done this.