early 90s cavy shift knob

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
nicky gio88gt

Post by nicky gio88gt »

Im lookin to put a cavalier T shaped knob on my 88gt. I tried lookin in the faq but didnt come up with much. Do the cavaliers have the bottom clips on the shifter like my car or does it have the one big clip in the middle. And if it does is there a way to make it fit?

Thanks

89' Buick Riviera
88' Beretta Gt (project car)
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

i have the t-handle shifter from my old Lumina LTZ on the auto shifter in my 94 base,  slipped right on, and the clip lined up too.  this is how people are putting the shifter handle from Grand Ams in their Berettas.  the factory auto shifter knobs are all pretty much the same size.  it should work no problem.

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
nicky gio88gt

Post by nicky gio88gt »

Yea but I have an 88. The clips on the handle are different. Instead of in the middle the clips are on the bottom of the shifter knob. Im wondering whether or not a shifter knob with the different clip can stil be put on?

89' Buick Riviera
90GTZHO

Post by 90GTZHO »

the clip on my 94 had a clip at the bottom of the knob too.  trust me it should fit.  i saw an auto shifter knob from an 85 feiro in a GA the other day.  i know GM keeps uniformity, so if a fiero knob from 85 fit in a 92 GA, you should be okay.

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
nicky gio88gt

Post by nicky gio88gt »

Thanks for the info man, im  definetly putting the knob on my shopping list when i go to the junks yard.

89' Buick Riviera
BerettaSS

Post by BerettaSS »

Early 88 and 87 Berettas had a different shifter assembly than late 88-96s.  The Cavy shift knob is only going to fit the later '88 Berettas. The 87 and early 88 interior looks like this . They also had the front seat belts mounted into the body of the vehicle. late 88s had them mounted in the doors.

basically, if you have your seat belts mounted in the doors, you should be able to use the Cavy knob.

nicky gio88gt

Post by nicky gio88gt »

Thats what I figured. Is there anyway to swap the linkage in the cavy shift knob to fit it to the beretta shifter?

89' Buick Riviera
BerettaSS

Post by BerettaSS »

You would be better of getting a shifter assembly from a late 88-1990. That way you get the correct bracketing. If you get a 88-90 assembly the only concern would be that the early 88 shifter cable might not be the same as the late 88-90. Take a look at how the cable atteches to your current shifter and then go to a salvage yard and compare with an 88-90. If they are the same, go that route.