Question about headlight mod?

Vent shades, black outs, things like that

Post by Guest »

I printed the pic on the ralay for this mod but what I need to know is: 1) Do you need a seperate relay for each side?.........2) Is there a certain part # for the relay or will any 5 prong relay work? I'm kinda new to this so any help would be welcome. Thanx.

ettore

Post by ettore »

Make the lowbeams stay on all the time ... put a relay to turn on the highbeams only.  AFAIK, there are no headlight 'relays' on any Beretta, maybe I am on crack; mine definitely has none and it's a '94 (unless u cound the DRL ones).

You can do this many ways, and it'll be a lot easier if you don't have DRL.

1. Rewire the highbeams to a relay that is completely separate from the steering column one and just leave the lowbeams on.  hit the switch, highbeams and lowbeams ... no switch, just lowbeams.
2. Diodes ... big ones.  Bridge the highbeam and lowbeam wires with a diode (@ the switch on the column).  Lowbeam "signal" will be blocked by the diode in "lowbeam" mode ... highbeam "signal" will pass thru the diode in "highebeam" mode allowing the lowbeams to operate.  Diode will probably need to be in the 5A area to be safe.
3. Cut the lowbeam wires and wire a relay to trigger off the marker lights.  This will make the lowbeams stay on as long as the marker lights are on (IE: headlight switch turned from OFF) and the highbeams will work like they used to.

If you don't know how to wire a relay, I highly do not suggest doing this.  As well, use shrink wrap, the wires that you are cutting in the engine bay with relation to headlighs get quite wet and electrical tape is pretty pathetic.

Orange Mica Z26 205,000k Click to See
leadfoot93

Post by leadfoot93 »

heres how i did it (the easy way).  cut the tan yellow and green wires from the switch on the column (my swich was broken anyway) then i found a nice sleek toggle that i put in the dash.  then wire the tan, yellow and an new wire together like a Y and run the new wire to the hot end of the switch.  then extend the green wire to the ground of the switch.  Presto low beams on head lights just like norm.  Then flip the toggle and the highs come on also.  Check the wire colors for your year to make sure they didn't change.  I used a lighted switch too but that gets complicated(but not as much as diodes i bet).

foot in the floor mpg about 8
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I just connected the two wires at my dimmer switch (on the column).  So the input is always connected to the low-beam output.  I also added a relay harness for the upgraded projector headlights with 65W H9 bulbs.

Cliff Scott