Hood Scoops

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
HateMyAuto

Hood Scoops

Post by HateMyAuto »

Finally, I'm doing something with my car. I'm putting in a new intake. The way I see it, I have two options; getting a Tranzgenic one, or making my own. If I make my own, I'd like to have it fed from a functioning hood scoop (I don't see much sense in making my own and having it run the same way, unless I can do it cheaper,  and I'm still looking into that). I was wondering if people with hood scoops could post some pics of what they have so I have a better idea of what they look like, and how to make them work. Thanks.

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro
brndnbess

Hood Scoops

Post by brndnbess »

Well most aftermarket bolt-on hood scoupes are non-functional. You would have to hack up your hood and build a screen and then install the hood scoupe to make it functional. Or you could buy a hood with a functional scoupe already on it but that would probably be around 300-500$$$

And building your own air intake is usually cheaper than buying one. You don't have to have it run the same way the stock system does. You can run it any way you like, just remember the less bends the better (and obviously the closer you are to a good air supply the better)

1991 Beretta GT 3.1 5 speed--great
1995 Hyundai Accent 5 speed---POS
HateMyAuto

Hood Scoops

Post by HateMyAuto »

I actually found a Beretta with a Camaro SS hood scoop that  I thought looked pretty good on cardomian. I'm not sure that with a hood like the it would be possible to make it functional, unless the coils were relocated and an intake was snaked around the engine compartment, and I'm not sure the effort would be worth it. But I'm still looking around and trying to figure out something.

'94 Camaro
93gt--z

Hood Scoops

Post by 93gt--z »

honestly, ram air is over-rated...even cai are somewhat over-rated....bang for buck just get a short ram intake, or make a ghetto one into the wheelwell.

93 gt-diza blitz kit,17's,3400/5speed...F'in A
90 gtz-rebuilt quad,17's,fx hood/kit,91+ dash swap
90 gtz-new crate motor,med grey dash swap
HateMyAuto

Hood Scoops

Post by HateMyAuto »

I don't doubt that, but I'm don't think I really want a hole in my hood for no reason. I think I'm just going to run a new pipe and filter where the old ones are for now and mull this over some more.

'94 Camaro