Racing Stripes for $20

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
NickSommerfeld

Racing Stripes for $20

Post by NickSommerfeld »

I decided the plain paint was getting old so I was set on racing stripes. I went over to O' Reilly and picked up some good flat black, a scotch bright pad, pinstriping and then hit the hardware store to get painters tape and paper.

1. Wash the beast really well. Then wash where you want to put your stripes with Windex to remove pretty much everything.

2. Measure out the center with a tape measure and take a dry erase marker and mark down the hood a four or five times to reference the center. Then measure about five-six inches from the center and mark all the way down the hood again with your dry erase on both sides. This is your inside lines. Depending on how many stripes you want and how big, just measure from your inside lines and mark them off.

3. Then take your pin striping and start from the top of the hood and run it down your marks line (except for your center line of course). Make sure they are as straight as possible. You can pic the stripe up and move it until it's good so eye ball it a few times and maybe even get someone else to look to.

4. Then layout your painters tape halfway in between your pin striping so that the striping should show on the inside of where your racing stripes will be. The reason you do this is that pin striping makes a better line when you pull it up then painters tape. Make sure they are as straight and even with the pin striping as possible.

5. Tape of the center with the painters tape but on the outsides make sure you use the painters paper to cover the entire hood. Over spray will ruin the hood paint for sure. Make sure to run plenty of tape so make a good seal around everything. Now you hood should be showing only where you want the stripes to be.

6. Take your scotch bright pad and ruff up the hood where the stripes are going. Make sure to so it all directions to give Th paint a better hold. Now take your Windex and spay onto a paper towel and wipe where you just scored the hood.

7. Take your paint and shake well of course and spray evenly up and down your stripes but hold the can back about a foot because runs look really bad and you can always spray down more coats.

8. Coat your stripes until your original color is gone and then a couple more times. You can either put clear coating down or leave it like that. If you are going for a flat look don't clean coat it.

9. Wait for the paint to dry and the peel of you painters tape. Now you can just go with the pinstripeing still on the car. It does look OK if the colors work well together.

10. Just repeat these steps for the roof and trunk. The roof is not necessary though. I did my racing stripe for about $20 which is much better then getting a body shop o do it!

Nick Sommerfeld
Jeff P

Racing Stripes for $20

Post by Jeff P »

Ha, cool, I've never seen someone do a write-up on racing stripes before.  Good tip on the pinstriping making a cleaner line than painter's tape!

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi