-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Lothurin

How to upgrade to a 91+ dash

Post by Lothurin »

noSaint: When i went through your cheat sheet with my harness i found a couple errors on it.

1. You have two "Z" listed in the new Column

2. In "X" i have a Pink/Black (medium stripe) and yours says not used in 90

3. You have two Pink/Black (large stripe) listed in row 17 and 23. One of these should be a Medium. Either in A, X or Z??

just thought i'd point these out.

Lothurin

Post by Guest »

only one pink/black was used.  The one that has a constant 12V.  The other 2 serve no purpose from what i can tell and can go anywhere u want in the spaces left over.

X goes the the ABS light which was not used in 90

Lothurin

Post by Lothurin »

what about Z you have it listed twice?

Lothurin
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Z is just ignition power, Scott (Hot in Run, Bulb Test, Start).  You can run either one of the two Pink/Black wires to Pin Z

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi

Post by Guest »

chris i am changing out a 90 gtz dash over to a 96 z26 dash  when could you have me the harness?

93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

If I swap my dash, will the faceplate for the deck and hvac fit perfectly into the original spot? I'm talking about the kind that is all one peice from a 90gtz...Will it fit into the 91+ hvac "square"? I like the way the older one looks, and it would save some trouble if it would...thanks.

93 gt-diza blitz kit,17's,3400/5speed...F'in A
90 gtz-rebuilt quad,17's,fx hood/kit,91+ dash swap
90 gtz-new crate motor,med grey dash swap
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

No.

93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

Ok, I am doing the swap in a month or so, so I'm trying to work the "bugs and questions" I have....

Ok, all parts are out of a donor 95 z26...they are going in a 90 gtz.

First of all...I have the entire 95 wiring harness from the donor car and not a single wire is cut...would this plug into the stock 90 plug at the firewall?The big black one?If so, would I have to change any other wiring?I assume it won't just slap in, cause that is too simple...?

Can I just remove the 90 harness and install the 95 harness in it's place, but still change a few things?(Would this save from splicing the wiper plugs and the lights plug?Also, the 95 harness is already mounted onto the newer dash and routed where it should be....)I think I'd still have to change the harness plug for the gauges, but is that it?

Thanks for any help, and I will probably have more questions...so bare with me...

Lothurin

Post by Lothurin »

from what i understand the black plug stays the same. Its the Cluster, wiper, and headlight switch gets changed. Plus the Steering column if ur swapping that too

Lothurin
93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

I understand what the write up says...but I thought maybe instead of cutting up the stock harness, I could just replace it with a newer one from the firewall back...Can anyone tell me if this would actually work or not with more than a yes, or no answer? I think I would need to re-arrange the the gauge plug,and I obviously need new gauges(I have a set from the 95), but other than that?

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

No you cant just switch the dash harness and use the 95 harness.  The 95 is OBDII, has extra airbag stuff and nothing will be in the right spot.  Its MUCH easier to just splice a few wires for the headlights/wipers than move around/splice wires for EVERYTHING.

93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

alright...thanks man...when I start the swap I'll have more Q's for ya...

93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

ok, another q...could I take the 95 harness plug, and cut the wires (leaving slack of course) and then cut the 90 wires and splice them together by color?or something?...Or is it just simpler to take all the wires out of the plug and rearrange them...?Also, I know it's been asked before, but what actually differs in the newer gauges.I mean between the 3100, and the quads. Other than the redline points, how are the different to the point of not working?Doesn't the ecm control the gauges? What would happen if I put a set of 95 3100 gauges in once I had all the wiring and install done?

Sorry for seeming repetitive, but I'm very interested in all this stuff, and I want to do the swap soon, but I don't want to be screwed with the wrong gauges still...

Approx. how long(in hrs) would it take to do everything (from say driving home, parking, ripping out the dash, doing all the work, and being able to drive it again with complete dash finished and working)?

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

The gauges depend on:  # of CYLINDERS FOR THE TACH, OBDI or OBDII.  Otherwise it doesnt matter.

Just do the wiring as stated above.  If there was an easier way then we would have done it that way.  Just trust it.

Only you know how skilled you are at doing things.  I cant tell you how long its going to take you to do something.  Its like me asking you how long it takes me to cook breakfast in the morning.  How would you have any clue?