How to upgrade to a 91+ dash

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

ok, I'm in the mist of doing the swap, but I have a few questions...

1. The red/white stripe wire and the yellow wire...you say goes to the drl?where is the drl module, and what does it look like...and what wires do I connect the red/white and yellow wires to?(my car is a canadian 90 gtz)...

2. On the new harness for the wiper switch, I don't have a white wire...all other wires are done, but I have a yellow/tan wire left from the new harness...do I just hook this wire to the white from the old harness?

3. I unhooked the timer relay, and ran the orange wire up to the new orange wire, but then it says to cut the relay plug off? can I leave it on? is there any reason for cutting it off?

so far thats it...tomorrow I'm doing the gauge harness plug....and hopefully buttoning up these few things.

93 gt-diza blitz kit,17's,3400/5speed...F'in A
90 gtz-rebuilt quad,17's,fx hood/kit,91+ dash swap
90 gtz-new crate motor,med grey dash swap
93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

ok, a few more things...I now have the cluster plug done, (but my cluster isn't here yet to test it), but i'm still not sure on the other things in the post above^^^^^^^...Also, the hvac controls are supposed to be plug and play, but they look different on mine...the 90 gtz ones have the hi-low control attached straight to it with riveted type conectors, and there is only 4 wires...On the 95 hvac control, the hi-low control has a plug thats 5 wires...?can I just cut the wires off the 90 knob, and connect them to the new one using spade terminals?(if so,which I don't see why not, what wires go where?cause there are only 4 opposed to 5?)?

Also, the drl module...I think I found it on the 91+ dash under by the hvac mounting spot, but where is it in the 90 harness?

I can post some pics of the things I need help with if needed...please let me know

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

you have to use a 91-93 HVAC control..newer ones won't work.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

Ok, now i have the 91-93 hvac, but I need to know the order of the vacume hoses/colors...

I have the wipers working, and the lights work, but I'm still wondering what to do with the yellow, and red/white wires that should go to the drl...I found it's location(on the black vent peice behind the dash...), but what wires do I splice them into?

Lothurin

Post by Lothurin »

Here is my two or more questions.
I'm puttin in a new column, i already switched over the wires on the connecter but there is the other small plug-ins which i think are either for cruise or turn signals, not sure I can post pics if needed.

Now these two connectors are different on the 90 column and the 91+ column. So my question is, are they important and 2 if so how do u wire those in?

2nd question. the shaft in the steering column i got from Eric is pushed into the column how can i get that out for i can connect the column up

Lothurin
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

(93gt--z @ Jun. 01 2005,05:09)Q
U
O
T
EOk, now i have the 91-93 hvac, but I need to know the order of the vacume hoses/colors...

I have the wipers working, and the lights work, but I'm still wondering what to do with the yellow, and red/white wires that should go to the drl...I found it's location(on the black vent peice behind the dash...), but what wires do I splice them into?
Alright Mark, if you want to enable your DRLs and have all of the necessary components including the light sensor under the defroster grille, here's what you should do with those two wires.  Connect the Red/White wire from Pin D of the DRL module to Pin G of the headlight switch.  Connect the Yellow wire from Pin F of the DRL module to Pin K of the headlight switch (along with the other wire at that terminal).  If your wires are in a different location on the DRL module, let me know; I'm just assuming those are the ones you mean.  Anyway, connecting these two wires will enable your car to operate in Night Mode, meaning it will turn on your low beam headlights automatically when it's dark enough outside.

After studying the vacuum diagrams, it looks like this is how your setup should be:

*Replace the RED vacuum line of the New harness with the BLUE vacuum line of the Old harness.
*Replace the YELLOW vacuum line of the New harness with the YELLOW vacuum line of the Old Harness.
*Replace the BLUE vacuum line of the New harness with the ORANGE vacuum line of the Old Harness.
*Replace the ORANGE vacuum line of the New harness with the RED vacuum line of the Old harness.
*Replace the VIOLET vacuum line of the New harness with the VIOLET vacuum line of the Old harness.
*Leave the WHITE vacuum line connected to the climate controls, but cap it off so it is airtight.

Hopefully that will work out for you.  I know it doesn't sound like it should be that way, but one of the valves and one of the actuators are different.  I don't have a car available to test it on at the moment or else I'd let you know for sure.  Lemme know if you have any more questions

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

(Lothurin @ Jun. 17 2005,22:47)Q
U
O
T
EHere is my two or more questions.
I'm puttin in a new column, i already switched over the wires on the connecter but there is the other small plug-ins which i think are either for cruise or turn signals, not sure I can post pics if needed.

Now these two connectors are different on the 90 column and the 91+ column. So my question is, are they important and 2 if so how do u wire those in?
Answered question via e-mail as promised.  I'll post details if anyone else needs to know.  Did not answer your second question because I've never removed the shaft from the column before

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:

Post by Guest »

I'm in the middle of the swap at the moment... mainly waiting on the rest of the parts like the Tac and such...

Everything has been easy, so far... I rewired the connector clip, and HOPEFULLY everything will turn out right... I spliced and saudered the wires for the lights, those turned out great... I spliced the wiper controls and did what Chris's instructions said, but for some reason they didn't work when I connected them to the new wiper controls...

I DIDN'T connect the defroster controls, I didn't even start on those because I'm still trying to figure it all out... I'm wondering if connecting the defroster controls up has anything to do with my wipers not working... Does anyone have any input on that? And as far as the HVAC controls and steering wheel wiring, does anyone have any more-specific writeups, maybe with pics? (I'm one of thsoe "have-to-see-it" people, I guess). I haven't started on those yet but I just wanted to have some more info.

While waiting for the rest of the interior to come, I've been working on modifying the 91-93 GTZ panels I have for my 90 GTZ with door mounted belts... I've been using a practice panel of course, and most everything is going ok... I might see if I can write up a walkthrough on how to do it they turn out good. The only real problem is the bottom seat belt container, it makes it difficult to attach the bottom of the door panel... and the door lock rod needs to be modified... Other than that it's a few holes that need to be drilled in the door, plus you need 91+ mirror plates and such.

I have an 89 GTU with digidash and I'm also considering dash swapping it because the interior in that car is shot... I plan on keeping the digidash, and I'm wondering... if I'm not swapping clusters, why is it such a PITA? The only thing that would have to be rewired is the light, wiper, and defroster controls... Or am I missing something?

89GTZ

Post by 89GTZ »

(93GeeTee @ Aug. 09 2005,23:39)Q
U
O
T
EI have an 89 GTU with digidash and I'm also considering dash swapping it because the interior in that car is shot... I plan on keeping the digidash, and I'm wondering... if I'm not swapping clusters, why is it such a PITA? The only thing that would have to be rewired is the light, wiper, and defroster controls... Or am I missing something?
It is not difficult if you keep the digital dash.

89GT(Z)
15.904@85.15 - many years ago
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

If you keep the digital dash you'll need to do some cutting inside the dashboard to get it to fit.  The digital dash is rectangular and the new clusters are flat on the bottom, round on top.  I put the electronics from my digital dash inside a new cluster with a reshaped case.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

I can't say on the wiprers, cause mine worked first try..but they have nothing to do with the hvac or defroster controls IIRC....

for the hvac, just pick up a 91-93 panel get-up(94-96 are different)...they are plug and play...the only thing different is there is an extra vacume line...I just took the whole turn mechanism from my 90 controls, and fit it into the 91+ and epoxyed it on(on the back)...looks mint and can't tell the difference...works perfect too

If you want more info on the hvac customization, I have pics, and the know-how...just let me know...

Post by Guest »

Yeah could you post them? That would be cool. Did you swap to the newer style steering wheel too? Any pics of that stuff?

Also, do you have any pics of the new wiring splices? I got the lights right, but I need to see the windsheild/defroster contorls... I'm assuming the GTZ is Canadian? Being the same car, out wires should be the same maybe... I'm a little lost on the steering wheel bit.. too many wires...  Plus, I cannot for the life of me get the new steering wheel apart, it's a PITA... I have to swap my iginition out of my old wheel into the new one...

Any idea how hard it would be to enable the airbag, with the sensors and all? I would feel safer... ÂÂÂ

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

It can be done, but it will take some work.  Be prepared to remove your dashboard, add a couple of fuses, drill a hole in your firewall, run wiring to the front of your car behind the grille, precisely mount three sensors, and do some other wiring work.  I'd highly recommend getting a factory service manual, or at least copying some pages from one.  You'll need the wiring diagram, the airbag service procedures, and the instructions on how to install the coil correctly so that it actually deploys the airbag when it should.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
93gt--z

Post by 93gt--z »

I didn't swap to new colomn or wheel, just put in a racing wheel...I don't actually have pics of spicing the wires together for the wipers, just before, and after with them all taped up...but if yours is canadian like mine, I don't know what the problem could be, cause I never had a single problem with my wiper wiring...all the wires were straight forward.Maybe post pics of yours?

The hvac swap that I did....You unbolt the assembly from the old one(the knob thing that controls vent/defrost,etc) Then I unbolted the other one from the 91+ panel(it's in the middle). Then I test fit the 90 one on the new panel...you have to slightly shave off mounting points and whatnot to get it to fit flat against the back too...also make sure to put the knob on the front, and see if it looks and turns right...(it's one of those things you just have to figure out and adjust yourself though, but I try explaining it as good as I can.)get it lined up with the positions as good as you can,Then attach it with epoxy, glue,whatever....hook up your old lines, and your done...

heres my finished wiper wires...

and the back of the hvac..

sorry, thats all i got, but if you need more help, let us know...

scott91gtz

Post by scott91gtz »

i have a 89 gt, with door panels falling off. i also have a 93 gt , an i want to put those door panels in the 89. is it a big job to do so? also the 93 has manual windows, an the 89 auto... can i switch manual to auto?

91 gtz -  quad 4 - 5 speed
89 gt - 3.1 - auto
93 gt - 3.1 - auto