Rebuilding Euro Headlights!

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
GT_Indy

Rebuilding Euro Headlights!

Post by GT_Indy »

Time to rebuild my Aluminum Euros for my 96 Beretta! :)

I was thinking of this style:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x6-Halogen-Se ... Sw8lBTpwyM
Or this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-H4703-LO ... SwZjJU26sq

What do you think looks better?
I'm also interested in suggestions that can help give the car a unique look!
Attachments
WIN_20180629_14_32_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180629_14_32_02_Pro.jpg

Rettax3

Re: Rebuilding Euro Headlights!

Post by Rettax3 »

Option 'B' -not a fan of those LED wanna-be halos. I've considered similar units to use the LEDs as turn-signals, but otherwise not so much.

I got another set of the E36 headlights at the salvage yard a few months ago, like I modified for Euro-esque styling on my GTU -I think they will go on my Yellow Indy, but I may put them on the new DOHC Z-26 instead.
Older pic of my Indy, test-fitting the modified E36 lights.
Older pic of my Indy, test-fitting the modified E36 lights.
My version of 'Euro' lights equals pi$$ed-off GTU!
My version of 'Euro' lights equals pi$$ed-off GTU!
I was never a fan of the E36 lights installed on the Berettas with the Halo option and the stock outer lens -they made the Beretta look like it was wearing glasses. :no:

I'll be using early fourth-gen Camaro/Grand Prix lights on my V-8 Indy -those are the very low-profile rectangular lights.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

That looks pretty good, I might look into it more.
I wonder how it would look with a large halo around each capsule instead of 4 round halos (2 in each capsule). lol

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Rexxax3, so what did you do, just remove the outer lens from the OEM bimmer light? I tried that on mine and broke both of them, so I never got another set to try again.
Last edited by woody90gtz on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I bought 4 capsules on the internet. Glass and reflector as a unit. They take H7 bulbs instead of H4. They also match my 02 Trans Am so its not going to be a loss if they dont work.
Measurments seem to match, they are still in shipping so I have to wait to try them.
So far I only found these H7 compatible capsules and Hi/Lo sealed beam capsules.
I'm still looking for Halo or angel eyes options.

Here is the thread I am putting all the part numbers in:
http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24751
When I made this thread I forgot I had that one so I updated it as a euro headlight part number reference and this thread is just showing my rebuild progress.
I will add more info to it as I can find more options for our euro lights.
I'm not sure but I'm thinking I may have found a substitute metal front bracket as well to hold the capsules in, I want to verify first though.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

woody90gtz wrote:Rexxax3, so what did you do, just remove the outer lens from the OEM bimmer light? I tried that on mine and broke both of them, so I never got another set to try again.
Yep, stock E36s without the outer lens. The inner lenses do have vent slits in them, so something needs to be done to keep moisture out or the bulbs won't last long in the rain. Cutting off the lenses is a PITA if you are trying to save them -next time around I'll just cut them off at the mounting flange and save an hour of careful prying. :P

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

My new Trans am H7 capsules arrived today! :)
They match great for the euro lights.
Left new, right old for comparison.
20180705_174035.jpg

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Rettax3 wrote:
woody90gtz wrote:Rexxax3, so what did you do, just remove the outer lens from the OEM bimmer light? I tried that on mine and broke both of them, so I never got another set to try again.
Yep, stock E36s without the outer lens. The inner lenses do have vent slits in them, so something needs to be done to keep moisture out or the bulbs won't last long in the rain. Cutting off the lenses is a PITA if you are trying to save them -next time around I'll just cut them off at the mounting flange and save an hour of careful prying. :P
I tried to split them and they broke both times. I didn't think of actually cutting. Use a whiz wheel?

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

woody90gtz wrote:
Rettax3 wrote:
I tried to split them and they broke both times. I didn't think of actually cutting. Use a whiz wheel?
I know the glass will shatter from prying, I'd use a dremel with a metal disk if it was me, but the vibration might still be hard on the glass.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Photo turned out a bit blurry, but one side is done.
These were aluminum lights I got from a Bnet member, they are very good build quality, I'm happy I got them.

This is after I cleaned up the metal and put it all together. Looks Good!
20180709_135322 Copy.jpg