HID light conversion

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
ajsberetta

HID light conversion

Post by ajsberetta »

Has any one done a HID light conversion on their beretta? i was wanting to know how they came out befor i spent $200 on a kit. any kits better then others? I was looking at a kit that was not just plug and play it included a relay and power from the battery that one sounds a bit safer.

wicked-irocz

Re: HID light conversion

Post by wicked-irocz »

Godlike has the best HIDs followed by nitrofish. They are projector HIDs, not just the bulbs.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
ajsberetta

Post by ajsberetta »

where would i buy them from?

weba

Post by weba »

I recently installed 50W 4300k HID kit on my high beams, in the stock US-spec headlights i mean.. And only for high beams since using these on halogen designed headlight does not create good enough cutoff, so they would blind oncoming traffic. And i do not use high beams when encountering other traffic :)

ajsberetta

Post by ajsberetta »

well i was wanting to put them on my low beams (high beams dont work on my car,something with the switch) if i just aim the light down a bit wouldnt that work so no to blind other drivers.

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

no it wouldn't

AND

Are you serious? Your looking for HIDs when your lows don't even work? Get them fixed.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

wicked-irocz wrote:no it wouldn't

AND

Are you serious? Your looking for HIDs when your lows don't even work? Get them fixed.

His highs don't work, but yes still get them fixed.

Now the whole blinding aspect... I've been blinded by these lights that you all say to switch to MORE than ones like what we have with HID's on them. Those actually do less blinding. Its the damn projectors on the 8ft high SUV's that have a cutoff way too high and does nothing that bothers me more.

Bottom line check your local laws about permitting HID usage in standard halogen lenses. It may be illegal which in that case I wouldn't take the chance.

Get a nice set of PIAA <lasts forever, or SilverStar lights and those will increase the lighting capabilities, and also give you a whiter light if thats what your looking for.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote:Bottom line check your local laws about permitting HID usage in standard halogen lenses. It may be illegal which in that case I wouldn't take the chance.
It is 100% illegal under federal (FMVSS) regulations.

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I assume your referring to this.
Part 564 - Replaceable Light Source Information (Effective 1-1993) Appendix A to Part 564 - Information To Be Submitted for Replaceable Light Sources
This part requires the submission of dimensional, electrical specifications, and marking/designation information, as specified in Appendix A and Appendix B of this part, for original equipment replaceable light sources used in motor vehicle headlighting systems.
The purposes of this part are achieved through its Appendices:
(a) The purposes of Appendix A of this part are to ensure:
(1) The availability to replacement light source manufacturers of the manufacturing specifications of original equipment light sources so that replacement light sources are interchangeable with original equipment light sources and provide equivalent performance, and
(2) That redesigned or newly developed light sources are designated as distinct, different, and noninterchangeable with previously existing light sources.
(b) The purposes of Appendix B of this part are to ensure:
(1) That original equipment light sources are replaceable and that replacement light sources provide equivalent performance, and
(2) That redesignated or newly developed light sources are designated as distinct, different, and noninterchangeable with previously existing light sources.
This part applies to replaceable light sources used as original equipment in motor vehicle headlighting systems.
Other than this which sounds like you can submit something outlining the change... no where in the list of laws can I see something saying you cant replace halogen lights with HID lights, or even as simple as saying only OEM approved bulbs can be used in OEM headlighting systems.

I wanted to put a set of HID's in my fogs, but not if I can get crap for it from a federal law...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
weba

Post by weba »

SilverStar or any other bulb that has blue tone on the glass is considered as downgrade, since the blue tint reduces the light output.. It does look the halogen to look brighter and whiter, but still reduces the light output.

Now what the manufacturers do with the bulbs, is to use thinner filament to get brighter light out of the bulb, but as you can figure out, that reduces the bulb life. If you go to store and buy one of those 'Long life' bulbs, you can see they are using pretty thick filament on em, but that also reduces the light output.

The deal with SilverStars is, that you get the blue toned glass with thinner filament, that equals the same light output than with new normal bulb, in whiter tone. But you have to pay more for it and it's not going to last as long (mine went out in year).

Another option is to get one of those step-up light boosters (switched-mode power supply) that turns the 12-13.8V voltage you usually get from the cars stock wiring, and boosts it up to 14.5-15V. I dunno is this stuff sold in US, but it's very effective way of improving light output. Stock 51W bulb will be as bright @14.5V than 80W offroad bulb on 13.8V, and here it's road legal.. for now :roll: HID's on halogen housing are not road legal here.. I just switch the plugs for yearly inspection then, and since they are on high beams, no-one should have issue with them on the road.

If anyone is interested, i could post some pictures of my HID+booster setup?
Last edited by weba on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sp33d1nc0rs1ca

Post by sp33d1nc0rs1ca »

haha i love livin in central pa. dont have to worry about the boys in blue on me for lights. or exhaust for that matter hahaha. they got better things to do like break up jdmhead car shows at kmart. nothin against jdmheads. some of my best friends love their hondas. anywho, if cops are thick and hard hitters in your area....dont do anything to the lights.

-Alan
SP33D1N
CORSITECH
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Not too often do you get pulled over for lights alone... its when you do something else stupid and the cop is not impressed with the car so then he does a walk around and the fines start to add up.

It's the same idea with my tint and no front plate... I have 5% film so its like 2.5%vlt total WAY illegal, but 9 times out of 10 I don't get bothered for it since I'm not being an asshat.

I'm sure I could throw HID's in my housings and never get stopped for it, but if I get pulled over for something else and he wants to make a laundry list it will hurt then.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
13's or bust

Post by 13's or bust »

i have a pair of 6k's in my beretta right now. I can get them for 60 bucks ranging in color from jdm yellow all the way to true blue. Ill be ordering a pair for my fog lights soon so just let me know if you want a pair. My set is just plug and play. I would first fix the problem your having with highs before you buy hids. Just saying.

"Berettas are like a sickness...and it's incurable." quoted from woody90gtz

96 z26, 3500 swap, currently awaiting Holset HX35 :) ,also 96 beretta, 3400 swap, rebuilt trans, 15.2 choked up with 3100 older uim & lim.
Kris GTwhat?

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

have you guys ever seen how bad a beretta is with hid's and stock us-spec headlights?

i feel like i am wasting my time though, kids will be kids and you guys dont care about other drivers so what does it matter right?

1991 GTZ: RIP
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

weba wrote:Another option is to get one of those step-up light boosters (switched-mode power supply) that turns the 12-13.8V voltage you usually get from the cars stock wiring, and boosts it up to 14.5-15V. I dunno is this stuff sold in US, but it's very effective way of improving light output. Stock 51W bulb will be as bright @14.5V than 80W offroad bulb on 13.8V, and here it's road legal.. for now :roll: HID's on halogen housing are not road legal here.. I just switch the plugs for yearly inspection then, and since they are on high beams, no-one should have issue with them on the road.

If anyone is interested, i could post some pictures of my HID+booster setup?
Upping the voltage at the lights sounds promising. I noticed a big gain in light output from stock wiring to headlight relays on my Camaro...but that was a change from ~10v to ~13v.

I have actually never looked, but are our Berettas equipped with headlight relays from the factory, or do they send current right through the switch like my '80? Because if they are through the switch, they won't even receive a full 13v.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube