floating or staped rotor

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
JDBend

floating or staped rotor

Post by JDBend »

need new front breakes, and need to know if rotors are "floating"  or "stamped", a friend of mine can help if not stamped

1994 Z26

floating or staped rotor

Post by Guest »

Um... go to your local parts store and buy some.

If your talking about doing oversized thats different.  

And I don't know what you mean by floating or stamped.

JDBend

floating or staped rotor

Post by JDBend »

it has someting to do on how the rotor comes off ,thanks anyway for the tip

1994 Z26
Decipha

floating or staped rotor

Post by Decipha »

pull the tire off, indo the 2 torx bolts on the caliper (95 model) and pull off the caliper, then pull the rotor right off the hub

(4) 90s, 91, 92, 93, 94, and a 95 Supercoupe (x9)
98 Camaro SS 6spd
2000 Lincoln LS 5spd (1 of 2,331)
95 Beretta base

www.efidynotuning.com

floating or staped rotor

Post by Guest »

is floating like bolted to a hub and the ring part of the rotor comes off??  and stamped has the holes for the lugs???

if so then these are stamped... I guess.  I would say they are more of a casted item rather than stamped.

BerettaSS

floating or staped rotor

Post by BerettaSS »

Floating means that there are pins that hold the caliper to the knuckle and/or hub however the caliper can slide back and forth to adjust for variances in the rotor. Floating calipers also allow for only having pistons on one side of the caliper. As the brakes are applied the pistons move inward pushing one pad toward the rotor. The counter force of the piston moving inward forces the caliber body to move the opposite direction. Since the other brake pad is fixed to the caliper body this action causes the other pad to make contact with the rotor and thus a clamping force is provided. There are actually full floating and semi floating calipers but that discussion is beyond this thread.

The other term that was used is stamped. This is a nonsense term. I assume he means FIXED caliper. A fixed caliper would be mounted rigid to the knuckle or hub. Since the caliper can not mov ein this configuration, it is required that the caliper have pistons on both sides of the  rotor so that aplication force can be applied evenly to the rotor.

But long story short, Berettas have floating calipers.

Also, if a Brake system uses floating or fixed calipers, it has nothing to do with the rotors. Rotors are just round flat pieces of metal that are along for the ride.