Caliper

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
ripley86

Caliper

Post by ripley86 »

About 2 weeks ago, the brake line on the drivers side front blew...I took it too a repair shop and had them replace the brake line but now the caliper on that side will not remain tight, I'm not sure if they cross threaded the bolt or striped it or what has happened because I had no problem before they "fixed" it..It comes loose on the lower bolt and I can hear it flopping around while I am driving..Also, when I pulled the tire and attempted to tighten the bolt. I noticed that it will just fall out of the area on the caliper that its supposed to go in...I did go to the JY today and pulled another caliper from a junk car to replace it.....I'd like any opinion as to if I'm also going to have to replce the steering knuckle or maybe retool it..any suggestions as to how to proceed with the least effort?

Thanks in advance

rweatherford

Caliper

Post by rweatherford »

I'd take it to the shop (if you can trust them)  and see what they say.  They might be willing to work with you.

I'd guess you need a new caliper bolt or steering knuckle, or new threads in that one hole.  Rather hard to diagnose over the internet.  

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Cliff8928
Administrator

Caliper

Post by Cliff8928 »

If the threads are stripped in the knuckle you can sometimes get a guide pin with oversized threads to fix your problem.

Cliff Scott
ripley86

Caliper

Post by ripley86 »

Thank you for your input..I really can't go back to the repair shop due to the fact I got into a shouting match with them concerning the non repair of our Eclipse....This actually happened after they had done the repair on my Beretta so thats out of the question..guess I'll just have to play it by ear..I did go get a caliper from a JY so guess I'm going to try that first,,,,

Thanks anyway