Rear drum problems

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
KillerofRice

Rear drum problems

Post by KillerofRice »

My rear drum brakes are yelling at me and I don't like it. It wouldn't be too bad if but I've never seen a rear drum setup like these on my 90 GTZ. The driver side brake is leaking fluid and I don't what it would be, I guessing a piston of some type but no idea what the part would be called. And the passenger side is the one making a knocking sound. The passenger side wasn't leaking any fluid the last time I had it off but I really need to fix this.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.
KillerofRice

Rear drum problems

Post by KillerofRice »

Sorry I didn't think, I should put this in the diagnostic help forum not this one. I had brakes on the mind and thought I should post it here. Sorry.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
rweatherford

Rear drum problems

Post by rweatherford »

They are called wheel cylinders.

It is easier to replace them, but they can be rebuilt.  If your brake line does not want to come out I would repair them on the vehicle.  New rubber plungers and you may be ok.  It depends on how bad they are on the inside.

Unless you are used to working on S-cam semi brakes... The ones on your 90 GTZ are about like every other drum brake setup made for cars and trucks.    

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

KillerofRice

Rear drum problems

Post by KillerofRice »

I've looked at autozone.com and they don't list wheel cylinders for my car. They say the part is unavailable. Doesn't list anything. I thought it would be called the wheel cylinder but finding parts for my car is fun. I also discovered while snow blowing this morning my rear muffler hanger broke. So I guess get to replace that too. I guess I'll check some local parts stores for the wheel cylinders. Most of those guys know what I'm talking about unlike some Autozone employees.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
Cliff8928
Administrator

Rear drum problems

Post by Cliff8928 »

Make sure you look for REAR wheel cylinders...

Cliff Scott
KillerofRice

Rear drum problems

Post by KillerofRice »

Yea I just didn't go to Autozone. Go the part from a local parts store. The rear drums on my car are not the conventional setup. Grant it they still work all the same in relation. I also found another reason to hate my Haynes manual. It said to remove the backing plate on the wheel cylinder. So I was looking for a plate and finally got mad enough to start beating the cylinder with a hammer. It came off then, but to my surprise there was no backing plate. As far as the knocking on the passenger side I think it might have due to low brake fluid. I have heard it knock yet. Its nice to have rear brakes again.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
Jeff P

Rear drum problems

Post by Jeff P »

There were two different styles of drum brakes:  leading/trailing (wheel cylinder on top) and anchor plate (wheel cylinder on bottom).  From what I've found, 1990 had both.  It's tough to get the right e-brake cables for that year (finally had to settle for used)

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
rweatherford

Rear drum problems

Post by rweatherford »

I guess I've worked on both and they seemed similar to me.  Not something I noticed being that different.  Learn something every day.  

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

socalchevyguy

Rear drum problems

Post by socalchevyguy »

I've had to deal with my wheel cylinders leaking for the past 300,000+ miles