home made Polyurethane mount

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
samuel adams

Post by samuel adams »

I can find in the seacrh for this. I saw someone make a poly-trans mount. Someone said they got there Polyurethane 2 part mixture from HOMEDEPO. Does anyone know what I am talking about.
Thanks

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Just go to the local parts store and by some 3m window weld or some construction grade polyurethane from your local home improvement store.  Apply in thin layers and let cure.

_________
-------------
samuel adams

Post by samuel adams »

Home depo said they have no idea what I am looking for. Any idea what I am looking for ? A product name? I know I saw something here on doing the dog bone mount. Any one have a link.
Thanks for the repley too

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Of course they would not know what you're talking about.  You're looking for car items at an home improvement store.  Look for "construction" grade "polyurethane" .  If it does not have those two words on it then move on to the next item.  Now I have not used the "grit" type (masonry/concrete) of stuff, so I'd try too look for something smooth.  Being paintable is a option (totally up to you) .  I have some that is and some that is not paintable.  I guess if you're picky it would matter, but I am more of a function overlooks person.  That 3M window weld is  probably easier to find.

_________
-------------
samuel adams

Post by samuel adams »

This is for the dog bone tranny mount. That block area I wanted to make it a solid block of poly. I know I saw this years ago on here. So I should have said what I am trying to do. O changes all my mount & that one looks like it needs some extra help.
Thanks

KillerofRice

Post by KillerofRice »

This is the 3M stuff to get. This is probably the most commonly used stuff. You should be able to pick it up at Advanced Auto or whatever it is in your area, Autozone does not carry it. If you're looking to go for a two part urethane try this website. You're gonna have to let a two part urethane cure about twice as long as the windoweld. I've got plans to fill my tranny and rear motor mounts but haven't gotten to it yet, stupid head gasket. I'm gonna make my front mount out of delrin. I'm going for a nice massaging car seat at stop lights.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Actually, Autozone does carry the 3M 'Windo-Weld"

Oh, and the stuff from McMaster is listed as a Urethane Casting Compound,  you would use the flexible urethane and the higher the number, the firmer it is.

Cliff Scott
KillerofRice

Post by KillerofRice »

Sorry, the Autozone here where I live they didn't have it when I went for it. Sorry for incorrect information.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.
yellow3800

Re: home made Polyurethane mount

Post by yellow3800 »

Is this really what it is? Windo-weld?

I saw a [240sx?] guy make main engine mounts from this stuff in a video using plastic clear disposable cups... sunk the bolts right in, tape to seal [tape is great!] and they cured - also heard from home depot. I think it was a 2-part epoxy deal... haven't found it yet - been using fiberglass to wrap stock rubber in mounts still.

Andy

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Window weld yes cures very hard... I myself bought a two part Forsch Polymer Corp. 94A Liquid Urethane mixture when I filled my 4t60e trans mount... That worked pretty good.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

WINDOW WELD IS SOFTER THAN GM FACTORY RUBBER!

Only use it to fill gaps in rubber mounts to stiffen them slightly. I made a whole mount out of window weld and killed it in 8k miles and it was soft to begin with.

To make real mounts you need a 2-part poly like Jon said.