Found a good brake rotor site

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
bondo07

Found a good brake rotor site

Post by bondo07 »

Some of you may have heard about the sight but I found it in a random google search.

http://www.drivewire.com/search/??N=0&N ... e=category

They have OEM as well as performance rotors and pads. Noticed one kit said rear rotors, didn't look into it much but I doubt it's a conversion kit, just a typo or mistake. Also looked at Subaru rotors thinking about how hard it would be to install the 11.5" discs instead of the 10" beretta disks and modify the caliper mount move it up 3/4"

http://www.drivewire.com/brand/replacem ... rs/subaru/

What's your guys opinions?

95 Beretta Z26, 300,000 mile daily driver
92 Cavalier Z24, Estimated 300K+ miles bad motor. Awaiting 3500 swap.
89 Dode D350 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 370,000 miles.
woody90gtz

Re: Found a good brake rotor site

Post by woody90gtz »

I took an old Subaru rotor and modified a spare spindle to see what it would take to retrofit and I did not come up with any good solutions quickly. The Subaru rotors are too thick for the Beretta caliper with fresh pads. With half worn out pads it will fit. However, you have to cut the caliper ears off the spindle for the Subaru rotor to fit. This leaves the ends of the pads without support from twisting. You may be able to make it work with the Subaru caliper and abutement, but I didn't have a spare to play with.

Another consideration: big front rotors have been proven to slow down acceleration. So I'm sticking with the Beretta fronts and just did a rear disc swap.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
michi

Post by michi »

I think the most important part for a brake upgrate is the caliper. there are plenty of rotors that will fit our cars but not so the calipers that will fit in the stock rims. I really want to swap in a front brake upgrate but i want to keep the 15" crosslaces rims since i drive the beretta "mostly" every day.
And i think the car will not better stop when just swap in some bigger rotors and keep the stock caliper, thats why i think that calipers are the most important part to swap for better braking.
Thats just what i think and i have to say i still plan to try out some things about braking in summer when i drive the camaro so i got some time for the beretta.

@woody, have you noticed some better braking power with just the rear disk swap?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

michi wrote:@woody, have you noticed some better braking power with just the rear disk swap?
It still has a broken transmission.

Best upgrade I ever did was the N-body brakes and Hawk pads. I do not regret that in the least, and If I really wanted to I'm sure I could find a way to re-drill the N-body bearing for 5x100 pattern and install studs and use stock rims again.

I'm actually curious now as to what the second pattern is on the N-body bearing to begin with...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
michi

Post by michi »

If i remember correctly the N-Body's got 5x115? I think redrilling is not a good idea... but thats just me, lol.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I think the same way Michi.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

michi wrote:If i remember correctly the N-Body's got 5x115? I think redrilling is not a good idea... but thats just me, lol.
Yes they are 5x115 we already know that and please explain to me why re-drilling is a bad idea since there is already 2 patterns visible on the N-body bearing? reference the photo above.

I'm wondering what that second pattern is that's currently drilled, if it's 5x100 then you just need to open up the holes and press in some studs and drill holes on the rotor and your done with it, people can stop complaining about having to change rim bolt pattern to get N-body brakes.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
michi

Post by michi »

Dude... i know you guys know that N-bodys got 5x115, as you can see i put a "?" right after my sentense so this was a question. And i just dont get how you want to redrill holes to get a 5x100 pattern... if the second pattern is 5x100 like you said this would be good but drilling new holes there? i would be afraid to do that and actually drive the car because of the sidewall will be pretty thin between the stock and the drilled holes.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

michi wrote:if the second pattern is 5x100 like you said this would be good but drilling new holes there? i would be afraid to do that and actually drive the car because of the sidewall will be pretty thin between the stock and the drilled holes.
missed the question mark my bad... and I wouldn't drill a third set of holes I would only use the second set if they lined up close enough, not every wheel bearing has two sets of holes drilled so its a bit odd to see a second pattern already on there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Even if you could get the hub to accept 5x100 spacing, the rotor itself is still a 5x120, right?

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
michi

Post by michi »

well it would be 5x115 then. but if you get the hub to get 5x100 and get a 5x100 rotor that would work. i just wonder how much better the caliper is from the N-body setup. I bet i could use bigger rotors on my Beretta too from another car but i dont know how much that will help. Id go with stock rotor size and add better caliper for better braking power.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Why do you have to get a 5x100 rotor? Just drill the pattern in it... Simple done, there is plenty of room and you will not compromize the rotor in any way. Why mess with what works? I don't understand why you guys keep suggesting mixing and matching stuff... N-body stock brakes are FINE for our cars for what 90% of the people on this forum do with them... Auto-X and anything more well yes you will have to look into something larger which then means you probably can not run a stock style 16" rim so then the pattern shouldn't really matter.

I've tested the N-Body brakes pretty hard and all I can say is they are a great improvement over the stock brakes that come on an L-body and then the F-body stuff that I can just slap on there is just obnoxious in the braking power department... If I could get the N-Body hub to have 5x100 on it I would probably drill the 5x100 into the N-Body rotor only and keep the F-body stuff stock and swap studs back to the other pattern I want the F-body brakes on it, BUT then I would have to be accepting of running a rim that accepts 5x115 for that setup only.

Currently I have no reason to peruse the 5x100 setup other than to convince others you can have FULL N-body brakes with 5x100 so you can keep your stock rims. This is a non issue for me since I have dual pattern rims.

But with the way you guys are replying it's making my motivation to even test and try this out sink quickly since I am not getting any positive feedback or interest in me discovering this option, you're just coming up with your own ideas or thoughts so I'll leave it up to you guys.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
michi

Post by michi »

Yeah well i am just not that positive at drilling brake parts cause i havent heard anything good about it and dont got experiences at all.
But it would be nice if you or maybe some other guy that has N-body brake setup could check if it would be possible to convert to 5x100. I dont have that stuff laying here around or at junkyard... so i cannot test it and dont have any experiences with it.
I maybe have acces to Grand AM parts but what years will fit? Do you know if the brake parts from a 94-96 3100 Grand AM would fit?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

94-96 is the same stuff as a L-body. Look at Rock Auto to see the years that 2000 GA brake equipment fits, that will show you all the year ranges.

People have drilled a second pattern in rotor hats for eon's and there is nothing to worry about when doing that as long as you get the pattern right, the rotor is centered off the hub and held in place by the sandwich effect of the lugs holding the rim on.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
michi

Post by michi »

Thanks! I really have to think about that and maybe i can pull the front brakes of a Grand Am. Really want to do some improvement on the brakes in summer. And no offense at you at all with my old posts, just throwing in some ideas since its my first brake swap at all and got alot of respect on the brakes so i dont want to create some crap that will not hold or is dangerous.
Oh and if you want you could check the second bolt pattern and look if there is a way to get them to 5x100 and let me hear your tips. Id be very thankfull for that.