Washed out feeling!

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
hotfored

Washed out feeling!

Post by hotfored »

Ok so I have an 88 base model with an l4 in it! The steering and handling seem really soft and not very positive! New to front wheel drive! Have put new shocks and struts on it all stock replacement. Just wondering if there are some simple reasonable fix's! This is the wife's car so don't need really radical just would like it to feel firmer and less remote! So some guys with a strut bar and some with a shock bar? Thanks :)

bagged_and_loud

Re: Washed out feeling!

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Did you replace the springs out in the back? Is it body roll, or soft suspension travel? For body roll, a strut bar off a cavalier would help, as well as a rear sway bar. I'm thinking base was FE1/FE2 suspension.

hotfored

Post by hotfored »

No just the shocks. If it were a rear drive I would say the front end feels worn out. Has the factory sway bar on it. Have looked for the cav strut bar not much luck! :)

bagged_and_loud

How's the ball joints and tie rod ends?

hotfored

Post by hotfored »

All new for ball joints and tie rod ends. doesn't have much tire on it Factory stock replacement from tire store!

bagged_and_loud

I'm at a lost then. Sorry I couldn't help Lol

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

88 base model will have factory FE1 springs which are setup for comfort, not handling. If you want something better you need to either invest in better springs (aftermarket) or find some from a Z26 or GTZ to get FE3 or FE7, and then yes you need to upgrade the front sway bar to something like what's in a GT 30mm or GTZ to get the direct acting which is a smaller bar but more effective.

Then on top of all of this what shocks did you choose? There are not many out there that have any "performance level" that fit our cars so your stuck with KYB which is about as stiff as you can get for factory fitment, or going to custom Koni inserts for adjust-ability. I hear that FE7 springs pared with Monroe sensatrack struts handles decent, but that was also with the rest of the FE7 swaybar setup and such.

You won't notice much from just a cavi strut tower bar.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
hotfored

Post by hotfored »

OK! Thank you!!!!

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Beware, only the front Z26 springs will work.

Control arm bushings tend to be a problem on these cars. Also think about replacing the rear bushings. I have Sensa-tracks on the front and I hate them, NTB replaced a bent Plus with them after I said I wanted the Plus. Monroe Plus shocks(which I still have) and struts are better. Never tried the Reflex. If you see them in a store the Reflex are red, Plus are blue and Sensacrap black.
I will agree that strut tower bars/ shock tower bars on stiff springs do little. They do have a small effect(tested on my 04 Cavy with Eibach springs and sways). As for my worn out FE2 the strut/shock bars helped alot. I have a few of the Cavy bars that fit our cars if you can't find one. As for the shock tower bar only MRZ makes and sells them. Stay away from the MRZ strut tower bar, it is just for looks.
Damn...I thought I was screwed with FE2. I bet FE1 is like what the old 70's cars had. Sure don't miss that body roll at 20mph!

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Slightly more of a low profile tire will change the characteristics dramatically. Install some eibachs and it'll return the result in which you might be seeking.

Other than that, you're looking at spending some $ and time creating something that will probably be too harsh for the ole lady.

_________
-------------
hotfored

Post by hotfored »

OK! I have kyb's front and rear! Did not change the springs. tires are very small P185/75R14 Thanks for the direction to look!

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

If you want I can send you a front strut tower bar. If you like it then pay for it, if you don't send it back. I would be asking for 20 bucks total. Or you can keep looking on your own. You may be able to find one in your area on car part.com.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah the MOST Z26 springs are for 95+ cars, but a 94 Z26 you can use the springs. In 95 they changed the rear axle and mounting point.

You will feel the biggest difference with spring swap, as well as getting a 15x7-16"x7 rim on there that would give you either a 205 or 225 width tire. That will help quite a bit. 185's on 14 is not only the wrong size but are way narrow. Stock size is 195/70/14 so your actually running a narrower tire than you should be.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
hotfored

Post by hotfored »

Ok so I look for stock replacement for a 94 z26? Money pit beretta I will take you up on the offer! I am at pob 455 Hines Oregon 97738 If you get me an address I will send you the money! Will a 16x7 with a 225 fit without a bunch of body mods?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes but unfortunately no one makes replacement springs to the Z26 spec... all aftermarket springs are standardized and the same rates... not like GM made them... so you would have to find a 94 Z with good springs in it to steal the OEM ones to get the real FE3 spec springs.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"