Brake Problem (94 Z26)

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
2.2H8TA

Brake Problem (94 Z26)

Post by 2.2H8TA »

My brake pedal feels extremly soft, and almost goes to the floor to stop the car. The brake pedal in this car has always had exellent feel since I got it. The car sat for a couple of days, and the weather has changed a bit. It's been near freezing at night, and in the high 50's, to low 60's in the daytime. I don't know whether this would affect it, but I figured I'd share that. The car still stops, but like I said the pedal is really soft, and almost goes to the floor when stopping. There is no brake light, or abs light on at all, and I have not checked the fluid yet because it's dark.
Any ideas? Suggestions on things to look at?
When I bought the car, the previous owner said all the brakes had been done recently, and both rear wheel cylinders were replaced too. My last oil change (about 1k miles ago) the brakes were checked, and they said they looked like they had been replaced recently. There are no spots on the ground where I parked it either.

1994 AQUA ZED
bagged_and_loud

Re: Brake Problem (94 Z26)

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Well, check the fluid first before you make a post.. then check for leaks after you know it has fluid..

Then if that checks out probably brake master or brake booster... not much to brakes..

2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Fluid is full. No leaks on the master or booster. Still nothing on the ground. I started it, pumped the brakes a couple times, and shut it off. There is no hissing like a line leaking or anything.

1994 AQUA ZED
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

If the fluid is full and you have no pedal it is a vacuum situation. But you should still have some pedal and the car will stop.

But I am still betting on a leak somewhere.

As "bagged" said, brakes are pretty simple.

A brake (wheel) cylinder on a rear can leak and really not display much of a problem for quite a while.

Pull the drums and you may find your issue.

Good luck with it. Brakes are important!!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Yeah, I do still have some pedal and the car does still stop. It just went from having to push the pedal maybe 25% of the way to stop the car, to having to push it 75%+ of the way to stop. The Wheel cylinders were appearently replaced before, but I guess that's a possibility. As far as the vacuum situation, the hose that goes from the booster to the upper looks fine from what I can see (part is covered by that mesh crap). I have to drive it tomorrow and Thursday at least, because neither me or my father have money to put gas in his Z. (Rough month for both of us.) I just hope they don't completly fail on me, I only have to drive a 10 mile round trip the next 2 days. I will call my mechanic, and try to get it in there Friday or Saturday.

1994 AQUA ZED
bagged_and_loud

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Master cylinder. Internal leak. If its not loosing fluid that is. Also, pull the vacuum choose off the booster and bend something into the booster to see if the booster has fluid in it. If it does, there's your problem.