U bolt for frame to swaybar bushing

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Money pit Beretta

U bolt for frame to swaybar bushing

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Does anyone know the size of the U bolt that holds the frame to sway bushing? I got the new bushings, but my U bolts are too rusted to reuse. My bar is the 28mm. I'm thinking that I can use an exhaust clamp U bolt.

Looks like it may be 2.68 inch or 68mm, does that sound right?

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Re: U bolt for frame to swaybar bushing

Post by 1988GTU »

Looked into the replacement hardware for a prior repair long time ago myself. Found autozone to carry the kit with rubber bushing for about 30.00 a side. Removed the rubber for my poly. Worked out great. Was hitting dead ends finding clamps/u-bolts to fit. I think the hole spacing is metric.
Or pick this up..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9 ... oCGSPw_wcB
Summit Racing Part Number:ENS-9-5130R

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

No luck here. Well in a way there was some. Worked my butt off trying to save the U bolt, only to shear it off half way down on one side. There was still enough left to get a nut on. Thought I would be able to get it out without dropping the frame, that didn't happen so I gave up.
Looks like I'll have to go poly. Thinking PST or what you linked. Are the bolt heads a good size? The nuts on the drivers side looked like they were pulling threw and I had to use washers.

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

As long as you get the old one off, you should be able to get the U-Bolt part in whatever size you need from McMaster, Fastenal, etc...

Cliff Scott
Money pit Beretta

Forgot about Fastenal. Oh well, not wanting to drop the frame anyway. The plan is to cut the U bolts and put in the poly bushings that have the bolt on mounts. Today I'm going to put some poly end links on.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Damn it that was a pain. Three year old end links and they were rusted solid. Sheared the head off of one and the nut side off the other.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

1988GTU wrote:Looked into the replacement hardware for a prior repair long time ago myself. Found autozone to carry the kit with rubber bushing for about 30.00 a side. Removed the rubber for my poly. Worked out great. Was hitting dead ends finding clamps/u-bolts to fit. I think the hole spacing is metric.
Or pick this up..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9 ... oCGSPw_wcB
Summit Racing Part Number:ENS-9-5130R
What size and length bolts did you use?

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I recall using UIM bolts and matching up nuts with washers. Might have been power steering bolts though. I just know that sourcing the nuts locally were a realllllll treat..

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Oh that sounds like just the kind of treat I like. Well, sounds like the plan 1 is in order. That would be taking the broken part of the U bolt and trying to match that. Guess I'll take an UIM along for length.
Thanks for the help, would have wasted a ton of time looking around and ordering U-bolts.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I did those ES brackets for a while... Had to cut and trim them down to fit then just use some 3/8 short bolts to hold them down... Stainless of course. I'm actually putting back in stock u-bolt hardware with stock style ES bushings.

I got the bolts and nuts from a car in NC so they are nice and rust free. Thanks Geoff!

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Oh man that is nice! Hope it's ok that I didn't get the bushings that have the grease zert. I'd like to keep the stock set up because it is thicker, but my sub frame is going to stay on the car.
So 3/8 bolts about 2 1/2 inches long? The plan is SS for them. Really starting to hate cad plate stuff right now.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If your just bolting the ES universal bushings to the subframe the bolt only has to be 1/2" to 3/4" long... Its only going through the metal thickness of that bushing bracket and the thickness of the subframe metal.. So account for a washer on top and bottom and you'll be good... 2 1/2" is way too long.

I only ran the greaseable ones because I thought it would be an advantage but I never greased them once. And I wish my subframes still looked that nice LOL. They will get a power wash before going back together but I don't know about a respray.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Dang I got get back under there and look at it again. Must be adding thickness in my mind. Not going to happen today, just got my 1.5 shims on in the rear. Don't think those wheel bearing bolts have ever been off the car. That was tough work! A one degree shim may have been just fine, but I went a bit overboard.

Never greased them? That makes me feel better!

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Had to have been ps bolts with added washers. But, the 3.1/2/8 has those bracket bolts that hold the black kick down cable in place and goes around the brake booster nipple. Still could've been those used.

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Going to make sure I get the right length bolts. Sure found out the hard way that 1.5 shims in the rear is way too much. Looks like I took the car out and jumped it. Bending the rear "axle" in the worst way. Going to drop it down to 3/4. Can say that the 1.5's made it feel like there was no need for a rear sway. The front felt loose as hell vs the rear!

keep'em flying!