Strut Upper Mount Replacement '93

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
EPfiffner

Strut Upper Mount Replacement '93

Post by EPfiffner »

There is an excellent write-up for the newer style mounts, but since mine is a '93 I thought I would add some info.

Remove the axle nut. Pop the tie rod end out of the knuckle, remove the brake hose bolt from the strut, unbolt the caliper and hang out of the way, unbolt (cut off) the stabilizer bar link, pop the lower BJ out of the knuckle, pull forward on the assembly to free the axle from the spindle. Support the assembly and remove the 2 nuts & 1 bolt at the strut tower.
IMG_1525.jpg
OEM mount, you can even see 92 date on the sticker.
IMG_1526.jpg
Here is what I ordered from RA and what is inside the boxes.
IMG_1529.jpg
Strut spring compressor rented from advance...not for the faint of heart. Also tough to use because the threaded shaft barely clears the upper and lower spring mount. Once the spring is adequately compressed, remove the nut from the top of the strut shaft. It tends to spin, even w/ an impact. I ended up using 2 wrenches.
IMG_1530.jpg
Original parts in an exploded view. Order from bottom to top: rubber insulator, steel insert, bearing with white side up, steel shim (if applicable), upper mount. Not clear in the photo, but I did not use the steel shim since my OE mount did not have it. The flat spots on the spring insulator, steel insert, and upper mount all line up with the flat on the steel lower spring perch.
IMG_1531.jpg
Stackup, old vs new. For the upper cup that goes directly below the nut on the strut shaft, I used the OE because it fit better on the strut shaft. The new cup piece had a larger hole, and then a mystery "top hat" piece. I couldn't get the top hat piece to fit, and the original cup looked good so after deliberating I went that route. i snugged up the nut with 2 wrenches, released the spring compressors, and then hit the nut with the impact for good measure.
Now reassemble, I am a big fan of never-seez. You will have to turn the upper strut mount so that the 2 studs are towards the rear when you insert the assembly in to the strut tower.

themixer

Re: Strut Upper Mount Replacement '93

Post by themixer »

great information looking forward to more post