Neon rear Disc Brake Write up

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Neon rear Disc Brake Write up

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Use this information at your own risk... I take no responsibility for any failures when doing this modification to your vehicle. You are fitting a part to the car that was not intended for it so the chance of some issue is always present.

Info used from http://www.Jbody.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; THANKS GUYS FOR THIS FINDING!

Google video of the swap done on a J-body. Almost identical to ours.
Google J-body Swap vid

This is a semi How-To for swapping Dodge Neon rear discs (using the factory L bearing) onto your car. This doesn't require welding; however it does require a machine shop or access to a milling machine. Its not basic stuff and it does require fabrication skills. I used Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads, but there are literally hundreds of pad/rotor combos out there. Since it retains the factory L bearing, you can keep your ABS if you want.

I used the brake setup from a 1996 Neon Sport-

Needed parts
The setup is the same from 95-02, so any year should work. To do what I did, you will need

Caliper bracket
Caliper
Backing plate/dust shield
Rotor
New brake lines to go from hard bent to caliper
Lines and Adapters used
63011626ERL X2 3an to 7/16" Banjo 26" Hose
977522ERL x2 7/16 x24 Single Banjo Bolt (For Line to Caliper, I didn't have good ones)
989534ERL x2 Brake Adapter 3an to 10mm x 1.0 Female NOT Inverted Flare.
Double check all of your factory lines because you may not have the 10mm x 1.0 bubble flare like mine, my lines were all stock, but I do not know if they used that same line for all years. I know it applies to at least 94-96 since those all have the same rear lines.

I got my lines from here http://www.amstreetrod.com go to their brake system components section and the lines are at the bottom, 3an to 3/8 banjo for the front and 3an to 7/16 for the neon rear... Summit no longer lists the 26" line for Earls so I would double check since I don't know if they just stopped selling it or if Earls stopped making it.

Part numbers if you want to buy new stuff.
04509504 (SOCKET, rear wheel p/brake adj screw)
04383541 (SPRING, p/brake shoe retainer upper)
04383542 (SPRING, p/brake shoe retainer lower)
04383543 (CLIP, p/brake shoe hold down)

There a 4 numbers for the shoes. One factory and three aftermarket-
V2013036
BHKP7300
BHKP7301

04383539 (NUT , p/brake adj)

There are 4 different bracket (called adapter) numbers, some come with the ABS sensor, some don't. You would have to check at the dealer for the correct one (you DON'T need the sensor, since you're still using the Cavalier bearing with the sensor built in)
04762684 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
04762685 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
04762686 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)
04762687 (ADAPTER, rear wheel disc brake with sensor mount)

04238733 (PIN, rear wheel brake shoe hold down)
04238721 (PLUG, rear wheel brake adj hole)

Two numbers for the park brake lever. I'm not sure whch one is which. I'm guessing the 8113 is left.
04728112 (LEVER and LINK ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear wheel, right)
04728113 (LEVER and LINK ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear wheel)

04509503 (SCREW, rear wheel p/brake adj)

Two for the backing plate/shield, again, I'm guessing the second one is left)
04728110 (SHIELD, rear wheel disc brake, right)
04728111 (SHIELD, rear wheel disc brake)

04723981 (SCREW and WASHER, shield to adapter)

Three different cable numbers. My guess is that some of them are for sedans, and some are for coupes.
04509633 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS)
05273636 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS) (this is the one I used)
04446981 (CABLE ASSEMBLY, p/brake rear, w/or w/o ABS)

You also need the balancer/equalizer piece, but it nots available on its own, its only available with the entire lever assembly.
04509637 (LEVER ASSEMBLY, p/brake)

I didn't list the caliper or any of that hardware.

These are all Mopar numbers. I would definetely make sure of what you're ordering before you actually order it. The dealer will be able to tell you exactly what you need. You're much better off buying all this from a salvage yard though, it will be much, much cheaper.
To start, remove all the L body hardware (drum, shoes, bearing, backing plate, park brake cables, etc). The factory L park brake cables will work with the Neon caliper brackets and e-brake Assy with a slight modification.

Plumbing
Parts I used are listed above. It's setup with braided lines and banjo fittings. At the unibody side, I used an adapter to get back to hard bent, it was a Metric bubble flare to an fitting. Pics below.

Caliper brackets
You need to have the Neon caliper brackets machined. This can be done at home, provided you take your time and make sure the center hole is dead on. I had it done at a machine shop for $100 Bring your brackets and your bearing, and say "make this fit in here. BUT be sure to keep the center of the bearing going to exact center of the current hole on the bracket. Everything needs to be centered off that hole after its enlarged to fit the L-body Bearing. Bring these pics as well, it will help them understand what needs to be done.

These are the Neon caliper brackets before machining-

You will need to have the center hole reamed out and the four bearing bolt holes drilled, as well as some clearance cuts made. This is what it should look like after machining-

Assembly
Assembling this is not much more difficult than replacing the wheel bearing. Only modification needed is to grind down the top of the bearing mounting point on the rear axle area. I used a angle grinder to do this. You only need to grind it flat.

The factory bearing bolts can be used with no issues. It's a tiny bit more difficult to get them in with the park brake shoes on, but they fit. Once you've got the bearing bolted up, you need to figure out a way to shim the rotor out so it doesn't rub on the backing plate/dust shield. I used a thick washer on each stud until I get some plates made to fit. I thought about this problem for awhile. You could space the bearing away from the caliper bracket, but that would leave even less thread on the bearing bolts. It is only about 1/16", so I'll leave the decision up to you, but the rotor DOES need to come away from the plate, or it will drag.

Park brake Modification... Cut the hook off the end of the cable, and then just slip the cable into the e-brake bracket. The once used hook on the stock cable now just becomes a stopper. If you need more pics of how the e-brake mechanizm works let me know.

Finished

Heres some shots of the finished assembly-

12" front disc upgrade to go with it :)

I think the best thing about this is that all the wear and tear items can be directly replaced (rotor, caliper, pads, bearing) with factory or aftermarket parts.

Info used from http://www.Jbody.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; THANKS GUYS FOR THIS FINDING!

Google video of the swap done on a J-body. Almost identical to ours.
Google J-body Swap vid

Post comments and questions. I will keep this thread clean too, so no BS'ing in it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Re: Neon rear Disc Brake Write up

Post by Barry »

Just a few more things to add

Most parts from ANY fwd chrysler from the mid 90's up will work. The only thing "neon" about this swap is the rotor. You can use everything else from a interpid, concord, etc.

I have neon brackets, concord calipers, concord parking brake stuff, neon dush sheilds, and will have neon rotors.

Jon, What did you do about the spacing issue that I have heard of? Not a problem in berettas?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I never did grab the backing plates I looked at a while ago. I should go back through my email and see if he still has them...

Barry, are you talking about the rotor spacing Jon mentioned in his post? His rotors are 1/16" off the face of the bearing in order to clear.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Yeah I obviously dont read things.
I think Im going to space the hub off the axle and get longer bolts.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Nevermind read, there is a pic of the bearing and there are washers on the studs... that would be behind the rotor.... LOL ;)

No need for longer bolts if you do spacing behind the bearing instead of the rotors... IIRC the stock bolts that hold the bearing on are long enough to handle another 1/16"

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
michellejane

Post by michellejane »

As per my knowledge Chrysler ones are best cost wise IMO. You can use the rear disk parts from almost every mid 90's fwd Chrysler and a disk from a neon to use with our 5x100 bolt pattern.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I just got my brackets in the mail and they are smaller than i was expecting! Apparently scaling owns me.

You cant use any Chrysler fwd rear disk stuff though. The guy I got my Neon brackets from sent me his Daytona brackets to redrill and it spaces the caliper further from the hub so the rotors must be bigger.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Daytona stuff is 11" vented rotors, Neon is 11" solid rotors.

Daytona setup.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I just checked Napa and according to their website the Neon rotors are 10.6" and the Daytona ones are 11.25.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Oh well, close enough.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Vampcrist

Post by Vampcrist »

My only question is on the ABS. My 88 doesn't have ABS does it work without as well?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Vampcrist wrote:My only question is on the ABS. My 88 doesn't have ABS does it work without as well?
Yes, of course.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah, ABS is just part of the bearing, and the older bearings just dont have it integrated. And since your using a stock bearing it doesn't change anything then.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

I'm excited to see how this ends up looking!

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Travelor wrote:I'm excited to see how this ends up looking!
On who's car?

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"