Neon rear Disc Brake Write up

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
woody90gtz

Re: Neon rear Disc Brake Write up

Post by woody90gtz »

Revisiting this thread now that I am finally installing my Neon rears. And I do have a brake pressure gauge I bought for the Camaro. Hopefully there is an adapter in there that works for our calipers. and we can get some hard evidence.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Just fwi i used my stock ebrake cables and works awesome just have to unhook them and reattach, its pita but been working for me for bout 4-5months with no problems

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

My pics show I'm using stock ebrake cables as well. I just had to remove the hook where older versions were just a barrel end.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Been fighting the rear wheel hubs for a couple days now. It appears to me that the hub should just come off once unbolted, but it is stuck. I have it down to bare backing plates and the hubs off the car on both sides and they will not budge. Same for both. Tried PB Blaster and let it soak overnight and they are still seized together.

However, it looks to me like the backing plates are about 1/16" thick...which is what Jon says is needed for the caliper/pad spacing on the rotor. I'm thinking about just hacking up the backing plates and cutting them down to the size of the bearing flange and using them as the spacer. That should work the same as spacing the rotor via the studs on the hub.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Woody every hub ive ever taken off has been like that, i usually beat them with a hammer until they come off if i intend to replace them, but if your keeping them than you might have to drive a chisel or screwdriver down in between it and the rear axle in a few spots, over time the bearing welds itself to the axle, before you re assemble paint all the bearing surfaces and than coat with never-seize, always does the charm for me

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

You can do that with the backing plate yes... It has to go between the hub and the Neon bracket though to space properly. I was going to make that type of spacer myself but just never got around to doing it, and I haven't had any of that off since I installed it.

And yeah the hub is rusted into the opening for the rear axle... it happens. There are only 4 bolts holding it and then you have to pound on it, and then you will get lucky and the backing plate will be stuck to the bearing so just trim the edges off and leave it there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I have this issue (on a different car though mind you) and what I ended up doing was using a torch and actually heating the housing around the hub and the hub, get them good and hot, then hit it with water, should break it loose. They are a pain in the ass though.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

They both came off the axle housing easily. It's just the backing plate/hub assembly that is stuck together. And that is where I need the 1/16 anyway, so I'll just leave it stuck together and trim around. I just wasn't expecting rust on this job...it all looks clean. Must be a piss poor design.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Oh in that case, yes that always happens as well, even with how clean it may look.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Ive never had that issue. But then again I was replacing my bearings every 5k miles for some reason. Im thinking unbalanced tires and lots of highway driving

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

I was thinking your drifting of front wheel drive cars their barry ;-) lol

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Barry wrote:Ive never had that issue. But then again I was replacing my bearings every 5k miles for some reason. Im thinking unbalanced tires and lots of highway driving
What brand bearings did you use? I believe I still have OEM rear bearings on my 96...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I went through to front wheel bearings in one year on my Beretta but I think that was mainly due to the fact that I bought national brand and due to all the potholes andd terrible roads in Southwest PA, I've never heard of anybody having problems with the rear stock ones

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Mine wore out, replaced them 10 years ago. Had wheel wobble. But it was rather painless.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

3X00-Modified wrote:
Barry wrote:Ive never had that issue. But then again I was replacing my bearings every 5k miles for some reason. Im thinking unbalanced tires and lots of highway driving
What brand bearings did you use? I believe I still have OEM rear bearings on my 96...
I have burned through timekins, skf's, and white box china ones. I found the best bet is going to the JY and pulling hubs from a low mileage 2004ish cavalier. I never had to replace those...