beretta drum brakes sticking....

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
13's or bust

beretta drum brakes sticking....

Post by 13's or bust »

it happens everytime my fiancee gets in her car when its either cold or when its rained, and it also happens when the car has been driven for a bit. id say like city driving if she catches everylight they get really hot and stick on the passenger side you have to give it gas in order to get it to pop and not stick. the whole drum brake system minus the master cylinder and the ebrake cable has been replaced. im just so confused by all of it. i want to get it figured out so she can drive the car normally and not have to deal with the brakes all the time. somebody please help me.

"Berettas are like a sickness...and it's incurable." quoted from woody90gtz

96 z26, 3500 swap, currently awaiting Holset HX35 :) ,also 96 beretta, 3400 swap, rebuilt trans, 15.2 choked up with 3100 older uim & lim.
DTMAce

Re: beretta drum brakes sticking....

Post by DTMAce »

Yeah you and the rest of us.

Both of my beretta's do this. Even after I replaced both rear shoes and drums, it still has a tendency to stick. It has to do with moisture affecting the shoes, making them grab more than they should. One way I have gotten around it, is to press the brake pedal really hard a few times, then use the car. It often will make it not stick. Once you get going and the brakes dry up some, the problem goes away anyway.

I would have to say its a characteristic. There have been people with ideas on how to correct it, but I don't know how successful those ideas are. I know the Z has done this pretty much since I bought the car new, off and on over the years. Usually after a rainy day, and especially in colder weather.

Edit:

If its doing it while in hot city traffic, then you may want to go with a better grade of pads, such as ceramic or a heavier duty/better quality. Could be the pads you are using may not take high temps well. Just a thought.

But I don't know if that will fix the cold/wet sticking.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

berettaboi

Re: beretta drum brakes sticking....

Post by berettaboi »

yeah a better grade/brand of pads and drum. mine stick after it's been parked for the night after a rainy day... and i need a complete rear brake system, my shoes are just about to grind rivet (even though there is just under 1/8" of pad left)...

i have heard that sometimes flipping the shoes around helps as well, and my car was really bad when i first got it, and much better after doing that...

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks