Hub Swap/Adapter Inquiry

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Koots

Hub Swap/Adapter Inquiry

Post by Koots »

I've come into possession of a beat and worn 98 Malibu with a nice set of 15" aluminum wheels.

I first thought it would be an easy swap, but a quick Google search proved it wouldn't be simple.

I came across the obvious option, adapters, but was never a big fan of them. I heard a lot of horror stories, but am open to suggestions.

The other option is a bit out there. Basically, I read a lot on the J-body forums because of their 2.2 OHV information.
I was wondering if our hub/knuckle and rear suspension is similar at all to the 95-03 J-bodies?

They have the option of swapping to N/W body hubs/knuckles and then doing an IRS swap to the rear suspension, using later model N-body rear suspension and some welding. Which seems like a lot of work...just to put on OEM Malibu alloys, without much real reward. If it is possible, I can gather all the parts necessary for pretty cheap from around town.

It's just a question of whether or not these parts are any real upgrade (using F-body calipers would be nice, but would require larger wheels) and if I am actually downgrading in any way?

Sorry for the long post, I tend to think too much %)

Kris GTwhat?

Re: Hub Swap/Adapter Inquiry

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

The things i would do to have an irs on our cars..

1991 GTZ: RIP