ABS Delete for 95 Z26

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: ABS Delete for 95 Z26

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The more I look into masters and the abs system its becoming harder and harder to pinpoint a master that is the same style as ours that was used on a Disc/disc setup... so if that can't be swapped out with something that will work with our ABS module then it's somewhat of a shot in the dark on how to bypass it.

I'm wondering if the valves are simply regulated by the springs... If so then using two springs from the front valve in the master should change the bias to equal pressure.... That is if the springs are actually different. Once again something I need to verify after taking apart the master. If it is that easy then all you would have to do is replace one of the proportioning springs or the whole assy pictured in the master breakdown above to get equal pressures. And then yes you could go to a 1" bore if you go to the Camaro/Vette front Calipers. I'm contemplating trying it since when I do install the Camaro/Vette stuff my pedal drops further from the increased piston area on the fronts.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
bagged_and_loud

Post by bagged_and_loud »

This thread just saved my behind.

daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

I don't know if this has been answered because I lost interest after page 2 but you can re-use your stock 95/96 MC. Tap the bottom ports with tapered pipe thread and then install a pipe plug in them, then just run a T-fittings off the top ports that already have the right thread for the flare fittings.

daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

Here check out my pic. I have the prop valve bc I swapped neon rear discs forever ago.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

3X00-Modified wrote:The more I look into masters and the abs system its becoming harder and harder to pinpoint a master that is the same style as ours that was used on a Disc/disc setup... so if that can't be swapped out with something that will work with our ABS module then it's somewhat of a shot in the dark on how to bypass it.

I'm wondering if the valves are simply regulated by the springs... If so then using two springs from the front valve in the master should change the bias to equal pressure.... That is if the springs are actually different. Once again something I need to verify after taking apart the master. If it is that easy then all you would have to do is replace one of the proportioning springs or the whole assy pictured in the master breakdown above to get equal pressures. And then yes you could go to a 1" bore if you go to the Camaro/Vette front Calipers. I'm contemplating trying it since when I do install the Camaro/Vette stuff my pedal drops further from the increased piston area on the fronts.
My 91 Lumina master is not ABS, but they make a newer one that is...and they are both factory disc/disc. I even have that POS Lumina master that was leaking out the piston if you want the bias springs that were in it. However, I think you'd be better off with the entire Lumina master anyway due to the increased bore. I changed drum to disc and rubber to braided hoses at the same time as the master, but the pedal is much better now...more solid.

daguse5853z wrote:Here check out my pic. I have the prop valve bc I swapped neon rear discs forever ago.
Have you checked your fluid psi at the rear to make sure it is good? Because with the stock disc/drum master mine read 1400psi front, 500psi rear...and I don't think an external prop valve will work to fix that unless both the lines you teed into were for the front. Your other option for the ABS delete and rear disc proportioning is the stock 91 Lumina master. It's cheap and looks OEM. Changed my brake pressure to 1400psi front, 900psi rear with the build in bias.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Eric, which master did you end up with? Did you get another Lumina one?

Get me some model info on that Disc/Disc abs style and I may pick one up.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Yes, bought the same ACDelco master as before, 91 Lumina w/o ABS.

You can get a 95 Lumina w/ ABS. Same 24mm bore as the 91 but set up for the ABS block without threaded holes in the bottom. I assume you'll have to change your reservoir like I did. I doubt the hood would close with the Lumina reservoir.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0358744608
(Rockauto has them cheaper, but Napa calls out the specs better)

If you want just the bias springs let me know and that should at least get you the extra pressure you need for the rear. My pedal feels more solid now, but like I said that is with rubber to braided, drum to disc, and the .875 to .944 master all at once. You may find that it's good to go with just the bias change.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

Honestly the prop valve isn't really turned in much so it's not restricting much flow if at all. I'll def look into the lumina mc tho.

daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

I still gotta figure out how to get the brake light to turn off in the dash now too. Did you notice any better braking with the higher psi in the rear?

bagged_and_loud

Post by bagged_and_loud »

Take the dash apart and remove the bulb.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Car seems to brake better but I really haven't tested it hard. The rear disc is pretty much pointless if you're not getting the correct pressure though...so I'd call it a necessity for a disc swap.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube