Diagnosing rear axle/suspension noise.

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Burning_Beard

Diagnosing rear axle/suspension noise.

Post by Burning_Beard »

I have a pop/clunk, and it only happens only when I'm slowly turning, never on potholes or any up and down motion, but I'm assuming the slow turn is creating flex in the rear. It's not any exhaust component banging anything.

Is there a way to easily and definitively diagnose this issue? It popped/clunked when I was raising the front left to do brakes. I guess I could try to recreate that scenario with a helper and get under the rear while its being jacked up. I've tried rocking and shifting the rear every which way to try to recreate the noise to no avail.

If the consensus (I want to make sure before parts are ordered and blood is shed) is rear bushings, which could it be? There is a bushing in the trailing arm, or rear axle control arm, whatever its called, but isn't there an actual axle bushing behind the tire as well?

1989 Beretta GTU 2.8 w/77k, auto.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Diagnosing rear axle/suspension noise.

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There is only one pivot point on the rear and that's where it bolts to the unibody so only one bushing. There are no others back there. I'd inspect wheel bearings and brakes and everything to make sure something isn't hanging there... Then check the shock brackets and what not and make sure those are all tight.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Burning_Beard

Post by Burning_Beard »

This was my lucky day.

There is some kind of stablizer bar, bolted inside the rear crossmember. The crossmember being a V shape, inside there is a bar bolted on inside via flanges, and 2 large bolts on each end.

There was one bolt/nut that was loose, loose engough that when you touched the bolt head, it spun, causing enough clearance to pop the flange of the stabilizer bar on a little flex.

The only reason I found it, is that I grabbed the crossmember to pull myself further under the car, and I grabbed that bolt.

Tighten it, no more noise.

1989 Beretta GTU 2.8 w/77k, auto.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I was going to say to check the rear sway bar but I wasn't sure what type came on that car. Good thing you found it.

My rear internal bar is welded into the two arms that go to the wheels, but in the same area up in the top of the A frame back there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"