Water leaks

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
#1 stunna

Water leaks

Post by #1 stunna »

Hello all ... well since i busted my windshield,Ive had my car covered with a tarp AND a car cover. Im still getting water in my driver floorboard. Any ideas??? I know about all the common waterleaks(firewall etc.) But its been covered well and still leaking a good bit! And now my trunk has sprung a leak too ... looks like it may be coming in at rear body seams behind the taillights?? Im stumped :x

88 beretta
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/517217
03 monte carlo ss
FrenchFries

Re: Water leaks

Post by FrenchFries »

my gtz floorboard is soaked on the driver side as well, i cant figure out what causes it... its irritating because i sat my job application down in it once -.-.

themixer

Post by themixer »

its usually the firewall, best thing is to take the carpet and interior out run a hose over the car, see where its coming in mark it then wait a few days for it to dry out use seam sealer

jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

my 95 Z26 leaks too,has broken windshield,don't know if that could be part of my problem.will check into firewall again,like i have many times before.

themixer

Post by themixer »

taking out all the interior carpet and seats really really helps in finding them

themadness

Post by themadness »

definitely take as much of the interior out. pull the panels under the steering wheel. if there is a black plastic cover against the firewall pull as much of away as you can. get a flashlight and shine up there to look for rust spots. my leak ran along the firewall and wheel well seam. the rust spots are a good indicator of where its coming from. pulling the wiper cowl and wiper motor in the engine bay helps a bit too. gives you a good view of where the water runs. cut or sand away anything that looks old and crack and re seal. the first time i tried to seal the leak on the firewall i got lucky with plasti dip. that lasted about a year. after i did the interior pull and went up the firewall with silicone that solved it. its best to seal from the outside and the inside but in my case i didnt have the resources to get deep into the engine bay to do a bunch of cleaning and resealing.

FrenchFries

Post by FrenchFries »

okay well mine is wet because my drivers side door leaks when it rains, thanks to the heavy rain we had earlier i found that out.

jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

My carpet is trashed (light gray) 95 black rose Z26,what i did when i noticed the driver's side leak was get a utility knife and cut my carpet out,took out driver's seat,made it alot easier.was planning on replacing the whole carpet some day anyway.

now when it rains my driver's side footwell fills with so much water it runs under the seat to the back,and collects in a nice puddle back there,where i keep a shammy to soak up the mess,then when it stops raining i just wring out the shammy,also drilled a 1/4" small hole where the blank plate is in the floor behind the front seat,i used a hollow 1/4" piece of tubing that is threaded all the way,like a coupler from a house lamp(fine thread) put a flat nut on the inside,and a tire valve cap under the car.

now if it pours too much,i just pull the tire valve cap,and the water drips out under the floor,after it is done raining or while driving, i replace the tire valve cap to eliminate any exhaust leaks that may find there way in while driving.

also found the ground wire for the rear defroster/power door locks under the driver's side front seat,the wire was corroded from the wet carpet.causing my doorlocks not to unlock when using the rear defroster in the winter.added a new crimp ring and fixed the bad ground problem,now rear defroster/power doorlocks work great again.

Car runs great after i replaced the 3100 v6 from a 96 corsica 2 years ago,but with this leak,I am ready to get into another car. but i keep reading that the impala's malibu's basically all GM leak in the same area,so before i replace my carpet,my leak will have to be eliminated before i even think about putting new carpet in.