digi cluster diagrams?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
raser13

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by raser13 »

hey guys, i haven't posted here often but her it goes. i was in the junk yard the other day and found a digital cluster just like the one pictured in the tech section picture and i was wondering if anyone had the wiring diagram for it? or maybe a pin out table so i can figure out what does what so i can change it out for my stock anolog cluster? i really want this in my car!!!!! also do you know if all the sensors are the same with the digital compared with anolog? or will i have to change those as well as a rewire???thanks for any info you can give

i love it when a plan comes together
cramez

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by cramez »

It's been a while since one of these swaps was done, but it is definitely doable.  The cluster will only work for a V6 car, no 4-cyl. cars ever came with the digital dash.  The cluster itself and the dash wiring harness are needed to do the swap.  The engine sensors should all be the same, but the Vehicle Speed Sensor is different between auto and 5-speed, so the donor car would have to be the same as your car.  

It has been a while since this swap was done, so if I'm wrong on anything somebody feel free to correct me.  

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Daily Driver
1984 Z28 - 355/5-speed
1978 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade
1955 house - sucks up all the car money

Ebay Beretta Parts (changes weekly): http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cramez/m.html?...from=&_ipg=
Jeff P

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by Jeff P »

Yup, by far the easiest thing to do is swap out the dash harness, or else you're going to be doing a lot of running wires and splicing.  If you want to see the outside temperature you'll need the sensor behind the grille (the wiring is already there in your car if you have an 87-90 V6).  I can't comment on how accurate the fuel gauge is since the fuel senders are different, but they generally have pretty much the same specs:  0 ohms empty, 90 ohms full.  You can also add the digital dash to the 91-96 interior, it's just a little more work.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
raser13

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by raser13 »

o.k. i've already taken this cluster out of the beretta in the bone yard. i've got about 9 inches of wire off the clip so i would have wire to tie into my car(it's a '92). unfortunately by time i got back to the bone yard the car was crushed and gone. so it's kind of hard to get the wiring harness off the car. so i'm going to have to go the long way and rewire the one i have. so anyone know what wire does what on this cluster? as in what color does what and what pin they're on? and the same on my cluster because the book i have on the car does'nt have that kind of info. i really apreciate any info on this that you guys may have i'm not afraid of the rewire job so hit me with it so i can put this sweet cluster in my car

Jeff P

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by Jeff P »

Roger, I'd definitely recommend buying, borrowing, or copying factory service manuals for both years because there are lots of differences in how they're wired.  Check around the dealerships in your area as many times they still have manuals stored in a back room.  If that fails, try eBay.  The digital cluster gets some of its information for gauges, etc. through the serial data link...things like voltmeter, tachometer, and coolant temp.  The odometer is a chip, so mileage is only changeable if you find someone who can program it.  Get a mileage sticker from the dealer and write down actual mileage as well as mileage on the new cluster when it is swapped in, then stick it on the doorframe.  Here are the pinouts to get you started, but don't take them at face value - you'll still need to do some research....And one more thing:  the 1992 Cluster pinouts are for the full cluster with tachometer.  PM me if you need the Base cluster pinouts and I'll post them here.

Digital Cluster (1988)
C16 - (ORN/DK BLU) Constant power (Hot at all times)
C15 - (ORN/DK BLU) Constant power (Hot at all times)
C14 - (YEL) Fasten Seatbelt indicator
C13 - (LT BLU) LH turn indicator
C12 - (LT GRN) Hi beam indicator
C11 - (GRY) Unleaded Fuel Only indicator
C10 - (BLK) Ground
C9 - (TAN/WHT) Brake indicator
C8 - (TAN/BLK) Shift Indicator
C7 - (PNK/BLK) Ignition power (Hot in Run, Bulb Test, or Start)
C6 - Not Used
C5 - Not Used
C4 - (TAN) Oil Pressure gauge
C3 - (PNK) Fuel gauge
C2 - (BLK/ORN) Fuel gauge ground
C1 - (LT GRN/BLK) Outside Temperature sensor
D1 - (GRY/BLK) Speedometer
D2 - (ORN) Serial Data input (from ORN wire @ ALDL)
D3 - (YEL/BLK) Range button input (from Switch Module)
D4 - (LT BLU/BLK) English/Metric button input (from Switch Module)
D5 - (PNK/DK BLU) Fuel Economy button input (from Switch Module)
D6 - Not used (You may or may not have a brown wire here.  It's not used)
D7 - (LT GRN/RED) Resent button input (from Switch Module)
D8 - (LT GRN/DK BLU) Trip/Odometer button input (from Switch Module)
D9 - (BLK/TAN) Tachometer/Outside Temperature button input (from Switch Module)
D10 - (BRN/YEL) Illumination (from 2 different sources @ Electronic Cluster Relay)
D11 - (YEL/BLK) Low Coolant indicator (does not use Low Coolant Module, FYI)
D12 - (BRN/YEL) Ignition power (Hot in Run)
D13 - (BRN/LT BLU) Service Engine Soon indicator
D14 - (DK BLU) RH turn indicator
D15 - (BLK/WHT) Ground
D16 - (BLK/WHT) Ground

Switch Module (1988)
A - (LT GRN/BLK) Trip/Odometer button output (to Digital Cluster)
B - (BLK/WHT) Ground
C - (LT BLU/BLK) English/Metric button output (to Digital Cluster)
D - (BLK/TAN) Tach/Outside Temperature button output (to Digital Cluster)
E - (YEL/BLK) Range button output (to Digital Cluster)
F - (GRY) Night illumination
G - (LT GRN/RED) Reset button output (to Digital Cluster)
H - (PNK/DK BLU) Fuel Economy button output (to Digital Cluster)

1992 Full Cluster
A - Not Used
B - (PPL) Fuel Gauge
C - (DK GRN/WHT) Speedometer
D - (BLK) Ground
E - (GRY) Night illumination
F - (DK GRN/WHT) Coolant Temperature gauge
G - Not Used
H - (TAN) Oil Pressure gauge
I - Not Used (You may have a BRN wire here for Charging System indicator)
J - (BRN) Inflatable Restraint indicator
K - (DK GRN) Coolant Temperature indicator
L - (BRN/WHT) Service Engine Soon indicator
M - (TAN/BLK) Shift indicator
N - (BLK/WHT) Ground
O - (YEL) Fasten Seatbelt indicator
P - (LT BLU) LH Turn indicator
Q - (LT GRN) Hi Beam indicator
R - (DK BLU) RH Turn indicator
S - (WHT) Tachometer
T - Not Used
U - (TAN/WHT) Brake indicator
V - (GRY) Low Coolant indicator
W - Not Used
X - (WHT) Antilock Brake indicator
Y - (BRN/WHT) Low Oil Level indicator (I think only for Quad 4...)
Z - (PNK/BLK) Ignition power (Hot in Run, Bulb Test, or Start)

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
raser13

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by raser13 »

thanks so much i really apreciate the info i can't wait to get this installed into the car! i'll let you know if i need any more info.

raser13

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by raser13 »

o.k. i've got most of it plugged in and working! still have a few questions that somone may be able to answer. first where is the tach signal coming in at ? the cluster has a tach but the pin outs don't mention one is it by chance this one D2 - (ORN) Serial Data input (from ORN wire @ ALDL)? and if it is where does it get the signal for the  altenator? because it is not mentioned above either. i figured that ALDL might be a misprint for alt. maybe . but after cooking one in the past i really don't want to just hook wires up where they don't belong. so if you know just drop me aline or might know someone who has done this and may know the answers let me know. i greatly apreciat all of the help this far guys. i just need the little more info from you to get this baby going!

Jeff P

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by Jeff P »

I think I mentioned that stuff in the paragraph above, but I wasn't too clear because I was trying to keep it short  Anyway, the digital dash gets its information for the Voltmeter, the Coolant Temperature gauge, and the Tachometer from a single wire:  the Serial Data wire (ORN) at D2.  This wire runs from the car's computer to the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL), which is the big connector protruding from under the dashboard by your left knee.  So what you'll need to do is run a wire from Digital dash D2 all the way down to the orange wire at the ALDL and splice it in there, and you're all set!  Oh, and if you were wondering about the alternator warning light, this is handled through the serial data wire also.  When the voltage is too high/low, the battery symbol on the gauge flashes.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
raser13

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by raser13 »

thanks a million jeff! i missed it in your other peragraph. i was reading to fast and not comprehending the rest! any how i should have her up and running tonight then! this is going to look so sweet! i've already diched the orange plastic between the light and the lcd screen and opted for a much darker red plastic instead and it looks so great. can't wait to get this finished! thanks again jeff  your a life save on this one!

Jeff P

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by Jeff P »

Nice, sounds like it's going to look awesome You'll have to find a way to post some pics when its done!  It's nice to find someone else who likes the digital gauges better than the analog, heheh.  Glad to help.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
raser13

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by raser13 »

i'm working on geting some pics up on the site i just got a digi camera for chrismas and can't wait to figure out how to navigate the 20 menu's that you have to go through to take a frigin' picture with this thing.  aint technology grand.

raser13

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by raser13 »

speeking of which does anyone know where the outside temp. sender is located i can't find it on the car. i know that it's  under the hood in the very front of the car but i just haven't found one on any cars at the yard. nor can i even see a clip for them any where. wher exactly should i be looking?

Cliff8928
Administrator

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by Cliff8928 »

They're behind the grille.  Any 87-90 V6 will just have the plug hanging there.

Cliff Scott
Jeff P

digi cluster diagrams?

Post by Jeff P »

Cool, that digital camera will be nice.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned: