A "GOOD" starter to buy?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
sprint2thechecker

A "GOOD" starter to buy?

Post by sprint2thechecker »

Just hoping for some input or info here. I put a $70 remanufactured starter on an '89 2.8 AT "base" Beretta about 2,500 miles ago. I had starting problems (listed elsewhere in another topic on this board), and the final diagnosis seems to be a crappy starter. It starts when it wants to, and if it doesn't, a few light blows to the starter with a rubber mallet seems to do the job. I don't want to rely on that method when needed, so I'll likely replace the starter AGAIN. Anyone think that $70 remanufactured starter was a bad decision to begin with? If so, how much should I be looking to spend on a "GOOD" starter? Should I look for a higher priced remanufactured starter or a "new" starter? Anyone know of a particularly reputable brand? Should I be contacting a GM Parts Dealer? If I do take the time to replace this one, I'd like to make it worth my effort. Any input is appreciated... Thanks.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

A "GOOD" starter to buy?

Post by heavywoody »

Get a mini-torque starter from either someone on here, Ebay, or at your local yard... you can find them in newer 3400 and 3500 powered cars... and they are less than half the size and weight of your current starter.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
docrodg

A "GOOD" starter to buy?

Post by docrodg »

Ask the sped shop folks who they have rebuild their starters and take a starter to them for rebuild.