Water leaking inside when it rains.

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.

Post by Guest »

Ever since I bought my beretta, the drivers seat has been more like a rocking chair. It tilted backwards because it wasn't connected to the floor of the car. yesterday I removed the carpet arouind the area and discovered that where the front mounting bolt to my seat goes, theres a hole about 3 inches in diameter. The metal rusted and it grew bigger and bigger, I guess over a period of years.

I also discovered that while the carpet itself was not wet, the padding underneith the carpet was wet. I think my car is a victim of the 'swimming" issue that I've read concerning berettas. However I think it's the driver side only. The passenger seat is fine.

I have the drivers seat anchored to whats left of the floor under it, now to fix the leak issue.

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

Good luck.. There is a pretty good FAQ for it.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

A search ought to bring up a few items also.  Sounds like the problem with yours is major, usually they hold up pretty well even with standing water.  Best of luck to ya

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
capecodberetta

Post by capecodberetta »

Hi.........
Did you ever discover where the leak is? My 1990 GTZ does the same thing. The weatherstripping looks fine.
Help!!
Capecodberetta

speedygtz

Post by speedygtz »

glue your windshield plastic back to your windshield on the front of your car were your wipers are that plastic is prolly bubled up i did that and it hasnt leaked since

also as far as the whole under the drivers seat....lol... never though id here it from someone else but yea it happend to me too. just weld a nut that the bolt threads into to a piece of metal then weld the metal into your floor. line it up first,after that just put the carpet down and bolt down the seat, there you have it

DONE!

the z26 is on the road!
docrodg

Post by docrodg »

Disconnect the computer before MIG welding.  The juice can sometimes fry them.

Also is easier to weld the plate in first, then position the seat and drill the hole, drop in the bolt then tighten it fully.  then just run a bead around the nut and finish off with a coat of VHT paint, and undercoating a couple of days later after the VHT is dry.

Post by Guest »

I've got the same problem (driver side floor water leak) on my 93' base as well. I'm gonna reseal the windshield cowl, and put a new bead of windowweld all around the windshield. I've got the two identical rust holes around the base of the door sill which i will attempt to seal also. God i hope this works, covering my car with a tarp every time it rains is a PITA!

speedygtz

Post by speedygtz »

(docrodg @ Sep. 04 2006,01:06)Q
U
O
T
EDisconnect the computer before MIG welding.  The juice can sometimes fry them.

Also is easier to weld the plate in first, then position the seat and drill the hole, drop in the bolt then tighten it fully.  then just run a bead around the nut and finish off with a coat of VHT paint, and undercoating a couple of days later after the VHT is dry.
y do that? why not just put the nut on the back were it belongs so its out of the way and the seat track can go down all the way like it was from factory the way it should be!

the z26 is on the road!
docrodg

Post by docrodg »

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough.  Put the nut underneath the plate so that it is like the factory install on top, I just find that it is easier to put the plate in all the way and permanently first then put the seat in place, Then drill the hole and bolt the seat in with the nut under the car, crawl under and weld the nut in place while tight, then finish with paint and undercoat.  

I weld the plate in first then drill the hole so I dont get the hole drilled and then find I am a little off when welding the plate in and the seat is gonna be crooked.

smitty286

Post by smitty286 »

My '94 had the leaking problem as well, though it was on the passenger's side for me (right down the front of the ECM...lovely...)  I fixed it by resealing the joints in the cowl under the vent panel (the black plastic panel that the wiper arms come through...obviously, you have to remove the arms to get the panel off.  All the joints looked okay but I slopped every seam up with black RTV anyway, hasn't leaked since (be liberal with the stuff, you can't see a thing with the panel back on).

leadfoot93

Post by leadfoot93 »

yeah i had the leak but it wasn't the plastic wiper guard.  After completly tearing out the carpet and underdash i discovered it was actually a body seam where the fender is welded to the body and there is that plastic piece by the tierods in the wheel welds problem was is the wiper deck has that flapper drain behind the wiper motor and by just sealing that one off and letting the water drain out the other sides valve my drivers side floor dried up a week later.  it hasen't troubled me since.  I just popped a piece of sheetmettal and a self threading screw in where the flapp attaches and siliconed the hell out of it.

foot in the floor mpg about 8
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

do you guys have sunroofs? i've seen that a few times, try blowing out the drain hoses with compressed air. it work for my friend's beretta and my girlfriend's saturn!

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E

Post by Guest »

Had to add to this. I think my 92 is leaking from the same place. This is the wire harness going trough the left side of the firewall.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/ ... CT0246.jpg

-Mike

ettore

Post by ettore »

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/ettorec/Car.jpg is where my current leak is ... yay project leakyness.

From what I can tell, the seam that goes down straight from the drivers side cowl drain, and the seam inside the cowl are the main culprits of the wet interior syndrome.

Orange Mica Z26 205,000k Click to See
kjlee2112

Post by kjlee2112 »

Mine was leaking... the problem was a lot easier than I thought.  I installed a new stereo and the power cable to the radio had to go through the firewall.. the hole wasn't big enough... so we made it bigger... didn't caulk around it... after lots of searching.. that was the issue.. so if any of you installed after market stereos, check that if you didn't caulk it up.

1996 V6 3.1L Base