Brake lights

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
KillerofRice

Brake lights

Post by KillerofRice »

My driver side rear brake lights are not working. I have turn signal and tail light. About six months ago I lost a bulb and its been downhill since. I replaced both bulbs at least 3 times. I researched on here and read maybe cleaning behind the bulb socket would help. That didn't help, so I'm back to square one. For some crazy reason I think it may have something to do with the turn signal switch, only because mine is starting to act up. I have not checked the wiring yet. I have not replaced the bulb socket either. I read one post saying it wouldn't be the wiring because if the back-up lights work then it's not the wiring. Because the back-up lights are on the same wiring as the brake lights. So I have a 90 GTZ and I'm stomped at this point. I don't want to be pulled over by the popo.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.
KillerofRice

Brake lights

Post by KillerofRice »

No help yet.   . Well I guess tomorrow I'll stop and get new bulb sockets and try checking the wiring on Saturday. So off I go guess and checking again. yay. I love electrical problems. I'll keep this up to date just to anyone else who needs it. Any suggestions are still very welcome. PLEASE!

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
Cliff8928
Administrator

Brake lights

Post by Cliff8928 »

If you only have the brake light working on one side i would definitely suspect the turn signal switch.

Cliff Scott
TheWhiteWolf

Brake lights

Post by TheWhiteWolf »

Looking at the wireing diagram for the brake lights, what you describe can only be the turn/hazard switch.
There are no other options in an electrical sence that could be the cause of the problem.

KillerofRice

Brake lights

Post by KillerofRice »

Well today I replaced the turn signal switch for a mere $95, but it solved the problem. It was a pain having to drop the steering column to get to the wire but no problem. Now to tackle my fog lights that don't want to work. Thanx to the guys that helped.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
Cliff8928
Administrator

Brake lights

Post by Cliff8928 »

The fog light problem is probably just corrosion/rust on the inside of the fog light where the bulb mounts.

Cliff Scott