Water Temperature... What is normal?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Cliff8928
Administrator

Re: Water Temperature... What is normal?

Post by Cliff8928 »

Fairly normal. 1/2 is the regulating temp for the thermostat, 3/4 is when the fan turns on to cool it back down to 1/2.

Cliff Scott
bagged_and_loud

Post by bagged_and_loud »

And That's saying the gauge is accurate.

3400beretta

Post by 3400beretta »

Every Beretta that I've ever owned always floated around the 1/4 mark. Fan would kick on at 3/4 like you say.

You could have a bit of a sticky thermostat, my cars never saw 3/4 unless they were sitting idling in the hot summer or something. Never driving.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

They took out my 180 thermostat when I blew the rad on my Quad and put in a stock 195. It stays at 1/4 gauge unless I get stuck in traffic even without a working fan.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I agree, sticky thermostat. When everything was working right with my 90GT it would go a little over 1/2 in hot weather. The only time the fan came on was when the T stat got stuck. It was acting like yours before that so be ready to turn the heater on when it does get stuck.
Be sure to check the ABS tanks on the radiator for cracks. That is a common thing. The cap could be bad too. Don't use the vented ones by the way. They leak pressure after a few years. The right pressure is everything to a cooling system.

As a side note on my 90GT when everything was "right" it had a new water pump, thermostat, radiator, heater core and I had a shop flush the system. That was one healthy cooling system. I wasn't a freak about it, everything just went bad and had to be replaced.
Last edited by Money pit Beretta on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

My Z26 is always at 1/4 unless i'm in traffic, but my 89s have all been at 1/2 normal, 3/4 fan turn on.

Cliff Scott