High beam, turn signal lever

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

Alright, I have an 88' Base and the turn signal and high beam lever appears to be junk. The turn signals work, but in odd ways, i'm pretty sure I know what that is though. My real question has to do with the high beam function on the lever. The lever moves VERY freely back and forth, but as everyone knows, it should click and turn the high beams on/off. However, like I said, it doesn't turn my high beams on or off, it just moves freely. The mechanic showed me how to use them manually by actually reaching under the dash and clicking the beams on, but i'm not so sure the car will pass inspection like that nor is it very comfortable reaching down there all the time. Anyone know whats up with this? do I just need a new lever or am I missing other parts? The previous owner didn't seem to care about the condition of the parts, but i'm trying to fix it up. Anyways, any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

the switch is adjustable, that is providing all the linkage is connected.  There's a rod connected to the lever which pushes the switch.  Unscrew the steering column and you will see it clearly.

Cliff Scott
31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

I must be missing that rod then. When I look down at the high beam switch itself, there's just the button, no rods or anything like that.