1990 beretta replace ignition key?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
db1561

Post by db1561 »

HELP!!  How do you remove the ignition switch from the steering column??  Iv'e got the steering wheel off..removed the clock spring.. all thats left is the tilt wheel....I just cant seem to find a button or pin that frees up the tumbler..

Thanks for your help!

yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

Have you found those two annoying pin-bushings on 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock of the steering collumn

There are two  bushings with a machine thread center that need pulling out.  This will release the cover that will allow you to remove the key cylinder.  

Keep in mind too that it may not be the key cylinder, at least, in my experience, I have found it to be the junky DI-CAST metal part that wraps less than half way around the steering rod of the collum connecting the key cylinder with the pushrod that runs to the ign. switch.  

If this is the case, your best bet is to buy a steering collumn from any beretta and take it apart on your own time.

oh, a word of advice, when pulling out those pins, because they are TOUGH, penetrating oil, [blast, break away] may help, but DO NOT use soft screws to pull them out.  Take time to see if there is a tool for this [I doubt it, but it would be nice].  If soft screws are used, they may break inside and this is completely unacceptable.

Now that I re-read your post, you are actually looking for the ign. switch and that is further down the collumn, at the base area, not behind the key tumbler.

Good luck!  Just remember, the steering collum is the worst part of a vehicle to work on.

Andy

db1561

Post by db1561 »

Thanks for the info!! I was able to fix the ignition (tumbler replaced) in about 1 hour!! It's forums like these that help us learn and save money!  once again thank you for your time and reply it was much appreciated!

Dennis B.