Timing chain cover gaskets

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
KillerofRice

Post by KillerofRice »

The head gasket finally went after 166k on the quad. So I'm pulling the motor and gonna spruce the old engine up a little. As i was looking through the parts I'm gonna order I came across two designs in the timing chain cover. Now I'm guessing the first design has to do with the double row chain and the second design with the single row. I've previously posted about the 90 Quad chain designs and was told that they all have double row chains, I think. So I just want to be sure on the the timing chain gasket set before I order it. Also should I look into replacing the water pump since I'll have the engine pulled? And I'll finally get around to redoing the mounts.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
84 Z28- Sold  Was a better beater than beretta.
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I think you (all 90GTZ's) should have the double row design.  The two designs for the cover is on how many bolt holes does it have.  I think you have two choices, 22 or 21 IIRC, just count the holes.  While you have everything apart or that far in, replace the water pump and oil pump IF you have enough cash.  Some will say you dont need to others will says why not.  It's your call.
If by a slim chance you have single row design and want to save a few dollars, I have a brand new tensioner and two of three guides (I cannot find the little one) .  Let me know if your interested.

_________
-------------
KillerofRice

Post by KillerofRice »

Ok thanks for the infor 1988GTU. I won't get to pulling the motor until this Saturday but I'll let you know about the chain. I may have enough money for the oil pump but I don't know if I want to spend it or not.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
KillerofRice

Post by KillerofRice »

Well 1988GTU its the double row chain. So it may be safe to say all 90 GTZs are double row chains. I didn't pull the motor b/c I didn't feel like fooling the tranny and hydraulic system. So after seven hours of ripping stuff apart everything is off and is ready to go together I just need to hear back from the guy about my replacement head. I will say it wasn't the easiest thing in the world but I don't understand why a lot of people moan about Quad 4s. Now a v6 fwd car yes they would suck, especially 3800 w-bodies. So Sunday I'm cleaning off the timing chain housing, intake, and other parts and I'll go from there. The head gasket was definitely shot, leaking in two places at the rear of the engine bay. So I'll update when its back together. 1988GTU thanks for helping this noob out with some simple stuff.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

No problem KofR...  Glad to see these cars are getting fixed atleast by SOME folks and not thrown in a boneyard.

_________
-------------
KillerofRice

Post by KillerofRice »

Well its a lot cheaper to fix the retta then to buy a new car. Honestly, I can't find a car that I like better than it that would be practical for me to buy to replace the retta.

90 GTZ - Mostly stock