Throw out bearing replacement - 91 GT

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
91GT4free

Post by 91GT4free »

My 91 Beretta GT has started to make a grinding/rattling sound when the clutch pedal is depressed. Really sounds horrible, but the pedal feel is still smooth with slight vibration. I am assuming it is the throw out bearing. Does anybody know what the best way to replace this is? I haven't had the chance to get underneath to check out the setup, but i am guessing i have to drop the subframe and tranny, or lift the engine out.

I won't be able to fix this for another 2 weeks or so, will the bearing hold out that long and if it fails will it ruin my clutch? Been rev-matching to avoid wear. New to the board, thanks everybody!

91 Beretta GT 5sp

-Daily driver
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Hey Ray, welcome to the board Nice-looking '91 GT you have - I used to have one too.

Yeah, you're probably looking at a bad throwout bearing (a.k.a. clutch release bearing) as you said.  You'll have to drop the subframe and transmission.  Luckily you won't have to pull the engine The bearing will probably last a couple more weeks if you're easy on it (I'm not sure how far gone it is or what your commute is like).  Your clutch plate ought to be fine if the bearing fails as long as no pieces find a way in there.  Definitely replace the bearing as soon as you can, though.  Hope that helps.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi