Electrical problem I cannot locate

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
dogurkow

Post by dogurkow »

My son owns a 93 with a 3.1L engine.  The engine stops while driving (immediately). After the car dies, it will start right up but as soon as you place in any gear it dies out again.  After we allow the car to sit for 10-15 minutes it starts right up and will function fine for a few more miles.

So far we have had the Computer module replaced, new alternator and new battery installed.  A mechanic stated the fuel filter was not the problem.
The problem still persists.  
Could it be an electrical short? or other problem with the electrical system?
I would greatly appreicate any suggestions!!

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Well, if the engine stops while the car is moving, I would start at the fuel injectors.  Possibly the windings are shorted in one of them.  If it only dies when you come to a stop, It's most likely the TCC solenoid.

Cliff Scott
berettajunkie1991

Post by berettajunkie1991 »

if you are driving and go above 45+ and let off the gas a little bit. and drive for a while. Now does it die when you come to a stop or just randomly die. If it dies when you come to a stop then more than likely it is your TCC solenoid.

91GT4free

Post by 91GT4free »

My 91 3.1 did something similar. The first time it died was randomly after a 15 mile trip. Then it would die right after it warmed up while driving. It would buck and not respond to the gas pedal, then shut off. I could wait 15 minutes and then it would start. Wound up being the Ignition Control Module. The second one in about 2 months.

91 Beretta GT 5sp

-Daily driver
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

If you would like to test to see if it is the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid (TCC solenoid that Cliff mentioned), you should look for a blue plug on the side of the transmission (toward the front of the car) under the airbox.  Unplug it and drive the car again after letting it sit for a few minutes as before.  If this fixes the problem, what is happening is the TCC solenoid locks while driving (typically 35-45 mph), then fails to release when you slow to a stop.  It is a very common problem.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
dogurkow

Post by dogurkow »

If it works can I just drive the car without it? or will it cause engine damage?

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

Yes, you can drive the car without it plugged in.  You'll notice the engine running at a higher RPM and your gas mileage will probably suffer a bit as a result, but it will work.  If you decide to replace the part, it costs around $40 and you can do it yourself to save a bunch of money.  It involves removing the LH wheel, wheelwell liner, and transmission sidepan (which means a new sidepan gasket is a good idea)...just FYI.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
dogurkow

Post by dogurkow »

OK, I unplugged it and the car seems to be running fine.  I will let me son drive it around for a few more fews since he make lots of short trips and if the problem does not return I will follow up on your repair suggestion.

Thanks for all the help!
DeVon