Manual Transmission Selector Cable

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
JT_92GTZ

Post by JT_92GTZ »

I have a '92 GTZ 5 speed (getrag).

One of the Transmission Selector Cables broke.  The part number is 10163816.  It appears that this part has been discontinued by GM.

My car has been in the shop for two months now.  My mechanic is trying to find a replacement part, but so far without luck.  He has even tried scrap yards.  Unfortunately, this cable is located in a difficult position. So when they pull the transmission at a yard, the fastest way to get the job done is to cut this cable.

He has even looked into having the part fabricated, but no one wants to take it on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I looked online and found nothing. I did come up with another part # for the 92 GTZ it's 11503749. The site that had that GM# could be wrong. You could try to PM 1988GTU and see if he can get one for you(used).

The # 11503749 is for the nut that holds the cable down(sorry).
http://www.napaonline.com/masterp....t+Cable
I looked under 92 GTZ Q4 and found that, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

keep'em flying!
JT_92GTZ

Post by JT_92GTZ »

Thank you very much.  I will look into it.  When I had called NAPA in the past they said they only carry cables for automatic transmissions for Berettas, this may be one of those.  I will find out.

Money pit Beretta

It could be an online only thing(that's the way it was for my trans cooler lines). I did find one other thing, there is a guy that makes cables for Fiero's. I'm not sure if they will work. The site is http://www.thefierostore.com/
The newest stuff he has is for a 88 Fiero, so the link will take you to an area that has his email(he may be able to make one).

keep'em flying!
JT_92GTZ

Post by JT_92GTZ »

thanks a lot, I will check it out.

Money pit Beretta

Sure man, two months is way too long to be without your car. I'd like to help any way that I can and get you car back on the road.
Ok, I emailed two places online that showed the part # in there search area. I tell you if any of those places have one when they get back to me.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Both places say no.  I did look at Grand Am cables, but they are a different #(not sure if they will fit).

Ok, found something at https://dmauto.com/web....005 its fourth from last on the page.

keep'em flying!
JT_92GTZ

Post by JT_92GTZ »

Thanks for the leads.  I took them to my mechanic and he is optomistic.

If these work out, I can get the car back next week.

You are right 2 months is too long.  Fortunately my wife has a hybrid and we carpool anyway, but I always like to have my car available.

Money pit Beretta

Sure thing, it took alot of time. But if it helped you get your car back it was worth it! Hope to hear soon that you are on the road.

keep'em flying!