Radiator Swap

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
jimmybay

Radiator Swap

Post by jimmybay »

I have two 89 GT's, one isn't shifting very well and the others radiator doesn't hold fluid. I'm planning on swapping radiators, in your opinion what is the difficulty rating for swapping radiators in this year beretta? And do you have any tips or things I should look into before starting, thanks guys.

Jeff P

Radiator Swap

Post by Jeff P »

From what I remember it's pretty easy to swap them....it's the hoses that are the hard part because they're usually stuck (unless you cut them off).  If the car that needs a radiator is an automatic, you'll need a radiator for an automatic.  If the car is a manual, you can use either radiator.  If you have A/C you'll need to disconnect the condenser from the radiator.  Don't forget to disconnect the Low Coolant sensor from the radiator (passenger side front, yellow wire).  It would be a good idea to do a cooling system flush at this point to make sure you don't have any foreign matter in the system that could cause problems.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
jimmybay

Radiator Swap

Post by jimmybay »

Thanks for the replay Jeff. The car that needs the radiator is and automatic and the car with the good radiator is a manual, so I guess I'm out out of luck. Is there any way to get around this?

Cliff8928
Administrator

Radiator Swap

Post by Cliff8928 »

Well, you can check and see if the car with the good radiator happens to have one that will work on an automatic.  There will be the connections for the transmission cooler lines on the drivers side.

Cliff Scott