A/C Re-installation...is it possible?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
MarkStack

Post by MarkStack »

I have a '91 3100 with AC that has not worked for 10 years.  Since the car still runs well and I need a cheap summer beater, is there some way to reinstall/purge/recharge the current AC system?  is that advisable?  Finally, if not, are there aftermarket systems that replace the original? ÂÂÂ
I suspect my existing system is contaminated with moisture and such.  So, I am thinking about complete replacement...but that may not be necessary although such would probably be a royal pain in the butt.  Any commets or advice appreciated.  tnx.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Anything rubber would probably need replacing as well as the faulty componets that dont work.  Other than that, do a pressure/vacuum check, recover if needed, and recharge.

_________
-------------
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

I suggest replacing the orifice filter, a $3part.  Trouble is, it requires separating the line [probably the one by the radiator cap as the '88 years are], and separating a line takes new o-rings which must be compatible with 134 or r-12/freeze 12.  

I love freeze 12.

You may hear that if one thing is replaced [say dryer] then everything needs replacing.  This may be true, and is definately the difference between getting literally sick in your car because you will feel like you're in -25F, versus 50F, which 50F in the summer is tough if driving in the sun.  If the system is in fact still sealed, then just replace what is necessary [dryer and orifice filter].  I say dryer only because A/C works on the pressure changing of gas, and if water vapor is inthe system, then the entire thing is in jeopardy because water vapor changes the pressures prematurely and more detail that I'm willing to post now at midnight as I type this.

Biggest thing is that vacuum down check and passing that leak test.

Andy
Lemon

daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

At the very least I would replace the receiver drier and any o-rings before you evacuate and recharge the system.  Some wal-marts sell the R134a recharge kits, r12 is illegal to produce so anything leftover is expensive and hard to find so you'll have to convert your system over also.

95 Z26/3400/GETRAG/OBD2 swapped