How to replace gas door hinge?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Runaboveit

Post by Runaboveit »

I have a 94, and over the past year I have noticed the gas door getting worse and worse. Today, I unscrewed the black plastic cover surrounding the gas tube, and took the gas door cover off by unscrewing the bolts on the back. Cleaned everything up and out (a ton of dirt dust), and investigated the hinge to see where it was broke.

In the process, that metal clip fell off which holds the door closed.. after some finagling, I figured out how it went back on. Anyway, the main part that it bolts to in the back is ok. It's the top half of the hinge itself that has rusted away.

My question is how is this connected and how do I change it if I get a new hinge? I don't know how to get a good view inside to see how things are together / come apart. I peaked through the back tire area, but that doesn't show me much except those two main bolts (that are ok) and the "box" where the hinge is contained.

Any tips on what holds the hinge on and how to go about replacing it?

Thanks a lot guys!

6r8ph1X

Post by 6r8ph1X »

Hey man, welcome, and to replace the hinge, look up into your rear tire well, you should be able to find two 10mm bolts up in the rear passenger tire well right near the gas door area. Unbolt these two bolts and your golden!!!!  

1993 Beretta GT, FX Designs Body Kit, Ram Air hood, 3.1 MPFI 3 Speed, 90,000 miles
1996 Beretta Base, GTU conversion, 3400sfi with less than 100,000 miles   ==  Traded
Runaboveit

Post by Runaboveit »

Thanks for the reply... So the whole assembly is one piece? If I unscrew those bolts, all of it should then slide out?

SuzukiGhostRider

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

Welcome and yup,should. GL.

BDEE

Post by BDEE »

good question, I was wondering this too. My gas door is headed south of the border.

IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Yes 2 nuts from the wheel well, and 2 on the gas cap door. If they are stuck use some PB blaster and a little bit of heat helps with a blow torch but don't burn your paint off. I used a 1/4" ratchet carefully not to twist the studs off of the door.

Clean the new one up, paint it, and install it. To align get the wheel well bolts as best as possible, then when you put on the door you can adjust that some too as it has some play as well.

A little oil helps it be smoother, or some lithium spray. Be sure to clean out all the salt and dirt that is held in that area

I took the cap off and stuffed a rag in the filler neck to give me more room when pulling the hinge out.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...