Trany help

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.

Trany help

Post by Guest »

I have a '90 Beretta GTZ and the trany is being weird.  I replaced it a while ago, with a junk yard trany, and I dont think it is the right trany for the car.  Anywho, I replaced the slave cylinder, thinking that was the problem, and it wasnt.  I have a hard time putting it into any gear.  please give any info that you may have, I am starting to hate this car!

HateMyAuto

Trany help

Post by HateMyAuto »

How many miles are on your car? Could be about that time to replace the clutch...

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro

Trany help

Post by Guest »

I have already replaced the clutch when i bought the trany..........not too long ago.........

HateMyAuto

Trany help

Post by HateMyAuto »

I'm guessing the fluid levels are normal?

'96 Z26 Now with 10% more displacement
'94 Camaro

Trany help

Post by Guest »

ya, they are.

1988GTU

Trany help

Post by 1988GTU »

Maybe the fork is bent?

_________
-------------
Jeff P

Trany help

Post by Jeff P »

I'd say bent fork (as above), air in the clutch hydraulic lines, bad shift cables, or shift cables not tightened to the levers on the transmission (or levers not tightened) as long as all of the clutch hardware was okay when you replaced it.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi

Trany help

Post by Guest »

What is a fork?     hehe, remember I'm a girl.........

Trany help

Post by Guest »

something you eat food with...

There are forks in the tranny, its a rod with like fingers on it that move the gears into position to put it into a certain gear, if they are worn they will either not touch the gear in the right spot and it wont go in easily or it wont go in all the way and possibly grind.

(wow that whole description could be taken very badly...  )

What symptoms are you having with this trans?

Trany help

Post by Guest »

Ha ha........   I have a hard time getting it into gear........sometimes grinds, especially in 3rd.  Reverse is a b*tch.....  I usually have to put all my weight on the shifter to get it to go into first.  Sometimes I would like to do this   to my car.......grrrr.

1988GTU

Trany help

Post by 1988GTU »

It could also very well be your sychro.  

A lot of maybe's.......  

_________
-------------
Jeff P

Trany help

Post by Jeff P »

It could be that junkyard transmission.  It could be in very bad condition inside (especially if this is effecting you in all gears).  I had a transmission that pretty much ate itself.  I still have chunks of gears in a gallon freezer bag Not exactly a sign of a healthy transmission.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi

Trany help

Post by Guest »

definatley sounds like sychro's, and possibly a worn fork or bad linkage...

May need to replace the whole trans with another j/y special... unless you plan on having it rebuilt, which I am starting to see on the Bstuff board, it's getting to be an expensive investment.

90_Black_GTZ

Trany help

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

(hotpants909 @ Apr. 27 2006,15:35)Q
U
O
T
EHa ha........  I have a hard time getting it into gear........sometimes grinds, especially in 3rd.  Reverse is a b*tch.....  I usually have to put all my weight on the shifter to get it to go into first.  Sometimes I would like to do this  to my car.......grrrr.
I have a very similar issue.  Sometimes it goes into 2nd fine, sometimes not, then it might just pop out.  
It's just time for either a rebuild or another tranny.  You could fix this symptom or that symptom, but in the end, you might as well replace it.  

Do you put it in first initially, then put it into reverse?  That can make that gear easier.

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles

Trany help

Post by Guest »

I usually have to go through all the gears really fast then throw it into reverse.  I think I just need a new tranny.