motor problem!

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

my car is screwed up!! its making a weird noise like the compression is bad . i changed the spark plugs but its still making that weird sound. any help will be gratly appriciated. please help!!!!!!!!!!

Duke 3D
SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

Post by SuzukiGhostRider »

"Making a weird noise like compression is bad"? *** are you talking about? You need to be ALOT more specific and tell us exactly what the symptoms are. I'm more than willing to help,but I need more than "it's making a weird noise",lol.

Money pit Beretta

motor problem!

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Hey Duke, it's been a long time. I don't remember what year your car is. Can you give more info into what is going on?

keep'em flying!
Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

its a 1988 base 2.0. when i try to pull out it skips or somthing. i thought it was the pistons but my dad said it is the exhaust where its broke in front of the cattlic converter. but i think you guys know more than me or my dad. please help. my car mean more to me than any thing in the world.

Duke 3D
michi

motor problem!

Post by michi »

Maybe more things are broken as the exhaust since you ran the 11.5 on the track with the 2.0 quad.

Sry i just needed to post this

SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

Do you have a vid camera? Can you take some vid with sound of the problem? Trying to help here Duke.

Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

i dont have a video camera. just please give me an idea and please quit bringing up the past. I know you dont belive me. just please give me some ideas. ive got a race next monday  and i need help now any help is appriciatted i know i can be alittle crazy but my beretta means the world to me. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke 3D
Asylum

motor problem!

Post by Asylum »

You know a little credibility might have helped here because you are right on the borderline of NONE!

I don't know what  the lack of compression may in fact sound like, but your broken exhaust may have alot to do with your problem.

Do you know how to check coils?

It's not hard with an ohm meter. 5.5 ohms across the posts means they are fine.  Could be as low as 4 and as high as 7 depending on your meter, but as long as it's consisitent, you're good.

Fuel pressure. Put your thumb on the relief valve at the end of the fuel rail. It should spray you with gas.

If those are both good, your broken exhaust could be messing up the O2 sensor.

Does it miss at wide open throttle?

That bypasses ALL emission readings, so that will tell you if the engine is OK.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

motor problem!

It runs ok after the skip? It's just so hard to say, it could be so many things. Does it do it when you rev out of gear? Not trying to be a butt. Man, I could go as far as plug wires, water in the gas, fuel filter, control module and coils(like Eric said). He has good info. It's just so hard to tell by looking at a post. Please don't be to hard on us, we know you want to get it fixed and we also want that(no one would post if we didn't). I know you will get it done.

keep'em flying!
SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

Precisely what was said by both Eric and Money. You've left the field WAY too far open to narrow it down. Your description is too vague. Does it pop, tick, clang,backfire,etc.? Do you have smoke,is that smoke white,blue,black out of your tailpipe? Does it start hard, does it smooth out under heavy acceleration? If you have a bad Exhaust Manifold gasket,start by replacing it. Then give us more DETAILED info here! No one is trying to be mean to you, we just need more details. Remember we are diagnosing over the Net, not in person, so you have to try to be as detailed as you can when describing the problem. GL.

Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

alright guys ill be more specific. sorry for being a grouch. i used to rev it up it sounded fine and i drove good. but now when i rev it up the rpm's will rise normally but its no sounding the same. it wold spin the tires and drive fine the the trans is fine. i can florr the gas pedal and it will not go over 15 mph. thanks for your help. please post any thang that you might think is what is wrong

Duke 3D
SuzukiGhostRider

motor problem!

Now, we're getting somewhere..... maybe. From what you're saying about the exhaust manifold leaking and it being a dog now when you floor it, I'm going to venture a guess of clogged Catalytic Converter. Take your exhaust loose from your Converter in the front of it and start the car and rev it a bit. If it's normal ,that was your issue. If not, let us know. Be warned, it's gonna be hella loud w/that piping removed.

speedygtz

motor problem!

Post by speedygtz »

that nos didnt blow it out?

yea, i had to do it, but it does sound like a clogged cat to me.

the z26 is on the road!
Money pit Beretta

motor problem!

Well man I'm not sure, it almost sounds like a timing problem. I'm thinking about the tensioner for the timing chain.

keep'em flying!
Duke 3D

motor problem!

Post by Duke 3D »

the cattlic converter is not clogged and the manifold dosent leak any other ideas. would it start if the timing is out?

Duke 3D