Steering Help and Clutch

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Cornfed91GTZ

Steering Help and Clutch

Post by Cornfed91GTZ »

Ok, I have a 91 GTZ with the Quad4 5spd. I am having trouble with the steering mainly after starting and not moving. No problems on the road but it does seem awful stiff. When you first start out and try to turn the wheel it will turn and then freeze until you move and then it will turn and may freeze again. Could it be the rack? I have no P/S leaks and fluids are full. This car sat for a couple of years before being put on the road again. A little work wont bother me as this car was free. All I have in it is a new alternator and battery. One last, are there any adjustments that can be made too the clutch? I have no idea the mileage, the Odometer broke at 93k.

Thanks

Money pit Beretta

Re: Steering Help and Clutch

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Had a problem close to that when my rack was going out. After it did it twice I put in the shop.

keep'em flying!
Cornfed91GTZ

Post by Cornfed91GTZ »

I had wondered if the rack was going out, a new one isnt bad on Rock Auto, any writeups around here on how to replace? Im pretty decent mechanically.

Thanks

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

I had a situation very similar to your description a couple of years back on my '91 Quad. Turned out the pump was going and it was eating fluid at times. No leak was ever noticed however and I did buy a new Delco pump and reservoir.

Still have it in the box in my storage unit, LOL!

Lucas Power Steering Pump stop leak FTW! The stuff actually works!!

However it does get a little stiff, exactly as you have described, if the car sits for an extended period until I turn the wheel a few times.

May get around to swapping out that pump one day.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

Cornfed91GTZ wrote:I had wondered if the rack was going out, a new one isnt bad on Rock Auto, any writeups around here on how to replace? Im pretty decent mechanically.

Thanks
No write ups that I know of. There has been a few members here that have replaced them on their own. Can't name anyone off the top of my head.

keep'em flying!
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

It's not a horrible job. I did it on my V6 with the engine in the car. I'd imagine with a Quad it would be significantly easier.

Cliff Scott
quad4berettagtz
Administrator

Post by quad4berettagtz »

I have had an issue with my PS on my garnet '90 GTZ for a few years now. When cold it actually chirps the belt because the pump is causing intermittent resistance/lock up. Suppose I should replace the pump! Much easier than the rack for starters and if that fixes it then I don't need to mess with the rack. Quad or not I hate that job.....

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

quad4berettagtz wrote:I have had an issue with my PS on my garnet '90 GTZ for a few years now. When cold it actually chirps the belt because the pump is causing intermittent resistance/lock up. Suppose I should replace the pump! Much easier than the rack for starters and if that fixes it then I don't need to mess with the rack. Quad or not I hate that job.....
Seems a lot of Quads have this issue when they sit for a while.
Could be a design fault or .... "It's Just A Damn Quad".

It really has to do with the fact it is a stand alone drive/belt, and if the pump gets lazy/old, the belt will slip and give you some attitude.

On a V6 it would have thrown the belt by now and you and I would have HAD to replace the pump.

:pardon:

A new pump is not all that expensive. I've had mine in a box for a couple years now and don't miss the investment, LOL!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Money pit Beretta

Damn forgot it was a 2.3L. My dads GA had a very bad problem with the PS pump.
When backing out if you turned the wheel "too quick" it would chirp and the steering would cut out. The belt was new and tight enough.
Lucus oil: do to the fact that he was going to get a new car soon it was tested. It worked for a short time, but I did just a fill and not a drain.
I'm with Eric, time for a new pump!

keep'em flying!
quad4berettagtz
Administrator

Post by quad4berettagtz »

Me too! Got any motivation you can borrow me?! :P

Mike - Beretta.net Committee Chairman Emeritus
'90 Med Garnet GTZ<-awaiting heart transplant 295k
'90 Black GTZ SCCA Solo II #24 STS
'92 Quasar Blue GTZ <- rusted into a holding pattern
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

Ive seen this done when the belt gets wet [rain]. TRY adding STP oil thickening agent [called stop leak] to the system and see if the miss goes away only if you verify the belt is not slipping. Buy it at your local gas station. I think this can prove that either the pump or the rack needs more pressure [suspect internal leaks]. Now deciphering which one, you'd have to ask Mike for that one :)

This idea comes from stopping brake leaks, so if you have a leaky caliper, this is great!

Andy