Power steering types?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
red91gtz

Power steering types?

Post by red91gtz »

my car has a leaky power steering line i checked rockauto for some prices and they show two models. Type one and type two. Does anyone know the differences and what i need? I need this fixed asap.

Engine is a 3.1 year is 91.

Thanks for the help!

92 GTZ 3.1/auto, no real mods other then a strut bar, I fight hard enough to get it road worthy!
Money pit Beretta

Re: Power steering types?

Post by Money pit Beretta »

All I can say is there is a high pressure and a low pressure line. Bet you knew that.

There has been a few people that swap racks for a better ratio. Don't recall ever hearing about a line swap. Could have missed that as I've only had vague thoughts on doing this. By the way it's Beretta to Beretta swap(just incase you were thinking it was from another model).

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

One is 1 1/4" longer... That's really all I can see by the listing online... Not sure when they changed to 2 version, or why.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
red91gtz

Post by red91gtz »

3X00-Modified wrote:One is 1 1/4" longer... That's really all I can see by the listing online... Not sure when they changed to 2 version, or why.
So would i be better off with type 1? Thats how it sounds cause i dont think i need a extra 1 1/4 haha

92 GTZ 3.1/auto, no real mods other then a strut bar, I fight hard enough to get it road worthy!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well the question is which one do you currently have? I'd measure it first.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

On my '89 GTU, there was also an issue regarding the sensor in the line -one is a male fitting on the line with a female thread on the sensor, the other is reverse of that. Not sure regarding a '91, but I would not be surprised if that is what is in question...

I bought a Rock Auto pressure line for that car a couple of years ago, the least expensive one they listed too. (Geeze, I THINK that was the Beretta I changed it on... :fool: ), and it was the right one, looked good (quality-wise), and fit pretty good, but I did have to tweak the bend in it a little to make it fit, which was a little irritating at the time, but not really that big of a deal. Yeah, it had to be the GTU, because the bigger engine in the bay made accessing the line a little tougher than a 3.1 would have been, so the not-quite-there radius in the line was a little more trouble than it otherwise would have been... :crazy:

Now I need to do it again for the '90 Yellow Indy... But that can wait until I do the five-speed swap on that, which is now upcoming soon, I hope! :good:

Welcome to the "My Beretta is Old Enough to Have Worn Out the P/S Line" club! :beer:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26