Tinting the windshield...?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
DanteGTZ

Tinting the windshield...?

Post by DanteGTZ »

FLAME SUIT IS ON! :burn:

My Quasar GTZ is going in for tint on Wednesday. I'm going 20% all the way around. I was talking to a coworker about it today and he asked if I was going to do the windshield as well (Yes, the whole thing!). Honestly, I've never considered tinting a windshield and have generally thought of it as a bit juvenile.

...then I got to thinking about it. I don't care about the looks (although it couldn't hurt), but I can definitely see the UV benefits... My dash is in pretty nice shape and I'd like to keep it that way for a long time. I will be getting a dash cover but just thought the windshield tint ---@ 50% or lighter--- couldn't hurt.

Any thoughts on this? From a legal standpoint I get that it's not legal - however, I still don't anticipate any problems. I drive my GTZ so infrequently that the likelihood of being hassled is very small. That, and I'd tint it so light that it probably wouldn't be super noticable any way. Just looking for some real world input. I'm not sold on the idea; just giving it some thought.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Tinting the windshield...?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I struggle all the time seeing out my windows in my legacy at night and the side is only 35%... I don't think even 50% is worth it for what UV it may block. Just get a windshield blocker and call it a day, or go for a dash cover. That's probably what I'll do in Pinky once I recover from this engine build.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

I had 20% on my SRT4 and really liked it. I did have to roll my windows down occasionally at night to see better but overall, I was happy. Our new Accord just had 20% installed and it looks great. Haven't driven it at night but I have high hopes. :)

I'm super excited to get the GTZ done. It'll be the first time I've had any of my Berettas tinted... Hopefully I'll have both done before Bfest2015.

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Well ya, it's illegal.

If you ever have to use the defroster... what could possibly go wrong?

And overall, I think it's likely not the best suggestion you heard all day.

On a bad idea scale of 1-10, it's 12!

Just my .02. :beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

It's not completely a bad idea... If you use the intended product..

A quick google search found this site with a comparison of with and without the film installed.

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah I'm guessing that this coworker was referring to using side window tint to match... Not what you posted Cliff, but I could be wrong.

To clarify, My Beretta is 5% all the way around... OBNOXIOUS and illegal in CT but no one bothers me and you HAVE to roll down a window to see at night. Indy will get what I have done on the rest of my cars, the Legacy and Forester, which is 20% on the back half and 35% on the front door windows

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Cliff8928 wrote:It's not completely a bad idea... If you use the intended product..

A quick google search found this site with a comparison of with and without the film installed.

There ya go!!

Just spent an hour reading reviews of this stuff and can't find a bad one!!

No mention of cost however, that I could find.

Good info Cliff. I'm going to look into this when I put the new dash that's been siting in the cupboard for 5 years, in the Quad. LOL!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Depends on how big you need it... It's readily available on Ebay at specific dimensions.

36" X 70" is $229
36" x 48" is $165

and so on.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

3X00-Modified wrote:Yeah I'm guessing that this coworker was referring to using side window tint to match... Not what you posted Cliff, but I could be wrong.
I'm sure you're right on that one. I was just presenting the product that would have all the advantages that would be desired (UV protection and heat reduction) without the darkness.

Cliff Scott
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

If you have a radar detector or jammer, don't plan on a reliable detection using Crystalline.

_________
-------------
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

It looks awesome, but probably not a good idea. Although if you went 50% it might make the sides look lighter in comparison. haha

I saw it on FSC a while back. Found the pic:

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Unless the price is ridiculously low to do the windshield, I'll probably hold off and save up for the Crystaline. The goal is really to help protect the dash from UV but the price has got to make sense.

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Car is back from the tint shop... I didn't even ask about the windshield - after sleeping on it, I decided it was way too impractical. I may do the Crystaline at some point in the future.

As for the tint, I went with 15% all the way around. The owner recommended it after seeing the lighter color of the interior. Looks nice and dark but still fairly easy to see out of. He was able to do the rear glass in one piece. He did say it took him 2 tries, but still said he'd be game to tint the other GTZ, no problem.

Looks pretty good - It's amazing how good a little window tint can make an old car look... :)

[edit] On a side note, I hadn't driven the Quasar GTZ a whole lot since BerettaFest. I still have to figure out my power issue/miss. This thing is really a turd driving it around. I think I'm going to swap knock sensors (only sensor I've not swapped) and pull the timing cover to see if the cams are still in time correctly...
Attachments
gtztint2.jpg
gtztint1.jpg

Asylum

Post by Asylum »

The rear window in a Beretta is said by some to be one of the hardest in the industry to do in one piece due to the compound curves, and there is a tendency to want to do it in two pieces.

That is the beginners way to do it!!

Good for your installer.

I can tell you being the owner of a white GTZ, tint makes a world of difference in the way the car looks.

Well done! Looks GREAT! Hell. It's a Quasar Quad. How can it NOT look great!

But I'm still going to look into the other stuff when the new dash goes in.

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports