Headlights

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Asylum

Headlights

Post by Asylum »

So what is the most up to date verdict on headlight bulbs for our cars.

The Euros can wait for now, but what bulbs are the best to use right now. I don't want blue and I'm not looking to blind anyone.

Suggestions?

Plug and play only PLEASE!

:beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
CorvetteBeretta

Re: Headlights

Post by CorvetteBeretta »

I put these in my moms jimmy and she said they were awesome. She always complained about her headlights.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-9003-NHX-BP2-R ... ds=9003nhx

whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Silverstar ZXE's or Phillips CrystalVision Ultra's, you can get either for a good price on eBay as well. They are more of a white bulb, but the Phillips is more white than the ZXE's, which are xenon instead of halogen like the other Silverstar series are. Neither will light up blue. Both are excellent factory upgrades and plug and play.
Last edited by whiteretta on Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

1994 Chevy Beretta, mild 3500 swap.
https://youtube.com/@MurphRocks86?si=mpCQc0DnEitPx3Jg
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

The ZXE's aren't used in this comparison, but it's an excellent write up!

http://www.veloster.org/forum/10-hyunda ... opics/3146

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah but you really need to be careful when your comparing their results with ours since that car is a projector lens setup. Our light output will look very different with the scatter reflector lens.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

People will argue to use whatever brand of 9006 headlight bulb because it's "brighter". The fact is, as long as the bulb meets the 9006 specs, it will produce roughly 1,000 lumens (or 1095 for the "+30" version) The difference in brightness you perceive is just due to the color difference unless you switch from the standard to "+30" version.

You can (albeit not legally in the US) switch to the 9012 / HIR2 bulb. You have to trim part of the top tab on it to fit, but the plug is the same. This bulb is rated for 1870 lumens. There may be glare issues in some applications with this because the end of the bulb is not shielded from the light like a standard 9006 bulb.

Cliff Scott
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

This is almost like 'what brand oil do you like?' but since you asked... I am a bit partial to Sylvania, I have had very good luck with them lasting well and performing as advertised over the years. The Silverstar Ultras do have a good color range (clean white), without being blinding -I run a set in my Yellow Indy. But, I wouldn't trust their ZXE series -they tend to burn out within a year or less (and they are a bit too blue for me). Good visibility yes, but it isn't a good bulb if it burns out frequently... Bottom line is the brighter the bulb, the faster it burns out. Silverstars are a good compromise, Ultras are border-line to me (I got a good deal on mine that I didn't want to pass up, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered). Even fresh OE-type bulbs can make quite a difference if your old bulbs are getting VERY old...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Actually, the silverstar/ultra/zxe have the exact same rated MTBF of 200 hours for the 9006.

For comparison, the XV is 850 hours and the standard is 1,000 hours.

Cliff Scott
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Hmm, interesting. I worked at a parts-store for a while, and I saw too many of the ZXEs come back within the one year we warranted them for. Ultras usually made it past the year but a lot of people complained that they didn't make it much further -I think the average reported lifespan of the Silverstars was better than a few years. I always went with real-world experiences rather than manufacturers' information on things when I could, but the problem there is most of the data is anecdotal, and people tend to complain about failures much more than offer praise for quality and performance. I usually steered people to the OE bulbs, and the Xtra Visions as a second choice if they were really insistent on brighter bulbs. Those would be a good option too, since you mention them.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
whiteretta

Post by whiteretta »

Usually at work I recommend not only replacing in pairs, but going with the Xtra Visions. How little more you pay and for the difference in brightness vs. the basic bulbs, well worth the money.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

However, there really is no measurable brightness difference. It's only a perceived brightness as the actual lumen output is the same.

Cliff Scott
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Yes, pairs, for sure. Not only is the other bulb likely to burn out sooner than later, but the new bulb is going to be brighter than the old one. I APOLOGIZE for the somewhat off-topic here, but has anyone else noticed that Subarus burn out their headlights five times faster than any other car? :)

Back on topic, I also pushed using the silicon dielectric grease on the bulb terminals to help promote longer bulb life -if the voltage is interrupted at all because of corrosion on the terminals, the filament will keep going through thermal contractions, which is what shortens their lifespan by a huge factor. The heat from the bulb also accelerates corrosion, so it really does make sense to put a dab of that stuff on there -I buy it by the toothpaste-size tube (5 or 6 ounce, I think it is), it is really cheap and lasts forever.

Most people here probably also know, but NEVER touch a halogen bulb's glass with bare hands -the oils from your skin actually get hot enough that it can fracture the glass.

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26