Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment help

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
cshults

Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment help

Post by cshults »

Hi guys, I'm attempting to adjust the TV cable on my 92 gtz V6 3sp auto as it is shifting late...I have found the following instructions (which seem simple enough):

Step 1 Stop engine.
Step 2 TBI equipped models, Remove air cleaner assembly.
Step 3 Push and hold down the metal readjusting tab at the engine end of
the cable.
Step 4 While holding the tab down, move the slider until it stops against
the fitting.
Step 5 Release adjustment tab.
Step 6 Rotate the throttle lever to the wide-open position, cable will
come back and automatically readjust itself.

However, I don't know what I'm doing or better yet, looking at when I am trying to do this..I see the throttle, the cable, can move the throttle to wide open but what I'm not seeing/recognizing on the throttle mechanism is:

1. The metal adjusting tab at the engine end of the cable
2. The slider
3. The fitting the slider is supposed to butt up against

I've searched and searched and cannot locate a video or pictures on how to properly adjust the cable and have come up blank. If anyone can explain it better or post some pictures or a video, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Chris S.
1992 GTZ
Money pit Beretta

Re: Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment help

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The tab should be on the underside and I think it's where the cable connects to the support bracket on the TB. Hope that is right, been too many years. I may be thinking more of the transmission cable adjuster.

keep'em flying!
cshults

Post by cshults »

Thanks for the reply. I think I got it figured out - the tab is behind the support bracket like you said. However, the instructions I found were a bit off..I would describe the "tab" as a button and it is plastic not metal as described (at least it is on my car). But once I figured that part out I pushed the button down and slid the cable as far into the cable housing as it would go. Opened the throttle to the WOT position and the cable clicked three times..

Hopefully this will fix my late shift problem, didn't get a chance to test drive it yet, was too busy yesterday and it's raining today and the ole girl doesn't go out in the rain anymore..

Chris S.
1992 GTZ
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Glad to help. If that doesn't work you may have to flush the trans.

keep'em flying!