School me on HID conversions...

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
DanteGTZ

School me on HID conversions...

Post by DanteGTZ »

Our Garnet GTZ had HID bulbs in it when we bought the car. Compared to the stock bulbs in my Quasar GTZ the HIDs are phenomenal. I'd like to add them to my Quasar GTZ before BerettaFest. What kind of kits are there for the Beretta bulb/socket setup? I've never installed one of these HID ballast kits so I'm a bit fuzzy on what style I even need to be looking for.

Am I just going to need an HID kit for a 9006 bulb?
How about a kit for the fog lights?

Thanks!

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
1988GTU

Re: School me on HID conversions...

Post by 1988GTU »

The factory design does not properly support hid lighting.
Can you install them? Yes.
Should you install them without addressing the housings? For the sake of other drivers and yourself, no.

Hids are housed by a projector and the projector containing the hid is affixed in the headlight assembly. Once in place, correctly aligning the illuminating light will be required.

_________
-------------
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Yeah, I understand that they're not ideal in our housings. However, one of my GTZs has them in the factory housings and they work great. Honestly, they don't blind oncoming traffic and the enhanced visibility with them is excellent. At some point I might go with the BMW projector style lights to maximize this upgrade, but for now I'd just like to make something work before Bfest.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
cintrav

Post by cintrav »

Not all cars that have HIDs from the factory come with projector beam headlamps. My navigator has factory HIDs and does not have projectors on it. U.S. spec headlamps are required by DOT to "project" light upwards (to a degree) to illuminate road signs and overhead signs. HIDs in a standard housing will throw light everywhere and is why they will generally blind oncoming cars. To do it properly, the bottom of the bulb's light will need to be blocked from illuminating the bottom of the beretta's housing. The bottom is what throws light upwards. There are shields available that do just that. Or i'm sure they can be made

weba

Post by weba »

I tried 50W HID bulbs on place of stock high beams, end result was extremely bright "low beam" with significantly less range than with halogen high beams :)

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Best thing in my opinion is to do a retrofit in the factory housings (like what Brad aka Godlike has done and same for the ones in Chad's GT/U - which I believe he bought from Brad).

Only issue (which may be minuscule) is the factory lenses - the design (the lines) in them is primarily for throwing halogen light output.

That's one of the reasons why I bought the LMC truck lights for my Euros... they don't have lines in the lens to scatter the light and rely on the reflector housing to do that. Which will allow for an HID retrofit upgrade later on down the road.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

heavywoody wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I bought the LMC truck lights for my Euros...
I'm always impressed with the research you do in sourcing parts!! :beer:

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.